If everyone and everything eventually dies , why do so many fear death?

The doctors are running all kinds of tests on me,
they say it could be serious, but possibly not serious too.
in your opinion why do people mainly fear death?

I put this under "just for fun"
but its a serious question too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Because I don't know what death FEELS like. Its the end of EVERYTHING that I know and concept in my mind. I believe in heaven and hell. I believe I will go to heaven and it will be like nothing I could imagine with my human mind. But the thought of being clueless has me terrified. Of not knowing if it hurts when a person dies, do they feel like they are gasping for air, or is it like going to sleep? And waking up somewhere else. Its a good but scary mystery.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think it is the not knowing what will happen in the hear after. I think too there is so much fear for the Lord that maybe people think they might not measure up and not end up in heaven. No one is perfect and some religions make it seem as though you have to be to go to heaven. I really hope everything works out for the best for you.
    Anonymous

• It's the fear of the unknown and the thought of life going on without you. I don't want my dead body stuck in the ground, not do I want it burned. What other choice do I have?
    Anonymous

• nor do I want**
    Anonymous

I agree.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Fear of the unknown. and maybe not so much fear of death but fear of dying- so many die painful terrifying deaths.

Answer by Bmat at 1:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• First of all, I am sorry you may be ill. I don't think any of us likes to face our mortality, especially when we have a family to raise. We worry about what will happen to our kids if Mom isn't around. Who is going to help them with their homework, kiss boo-boos, and love them more than anything and anyone on Earth? I lost my Mom in 2007, and I have no one to tell about my kids 'firsts,' no one to give them cuddles, no one to ask for advice on parenting issues. It sucks. I guess I fear death because I don't want to miss those those things. As a Buddhist, i know my life is impermanent. I may be here in the morning and ashes by sunset. Part of life is accepting that an embracing every single moment I have here, even when I don't feel up to it. I hope everything turns out well for you.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I used to fear it, but now I don't just for the reason you added as part of your question. I also do not want to be buried just like lilbit said, what I want is to be creamated and have my ashes poured over the beach because I love it there and my family and I have always had a wonderful time there. At my funeral I want everyone to be happy that now I get to live my life at the beach just like I have always wanted and when they go there they will remember me as who i was and not how I died.
    As you can see I have put a lot of thought into this. I know life is going to go on without me, and I don't want people to mourn my passing I want them to go on with their lives and be happy.
    I hope this helps and I also hope that you are ok, take care.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 1:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I don't really have a fear of dying, I have the fear of being on the embalming table and "waking up". Like the lady on the news, she was brain dead for I don't know how many hours, had rig-o-mortis, and then just woke up on the table. That scares the hell out of me. Or being cremated when i'm not really dead. The only thing that scares me about dying is if it's going to feel like i'm gasping for air or if i'm just going to let out a sigh and go. I've seen a few people die but they were also all drugged up so I don't know what's going to happen.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 1:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• thanks all for the answers and well wishes
    Anonymous