My 3yr old daughter is curious about her body..anyone elses little one going through this?

My 3 yr old daughter has been "exploring" her body lately. I have noticed when she takes her bath she "plays" down in her private area(touches herself). I also have noticed she likes to hide and when I find her she is usually touching herself. I dont react because I dont want her to think she is doing anything wrong, because its normal for little ones to explore. I am just curious if anyone else has caught their child doing this. Please no bashing...this is part of normal development and every child does it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i catch my 3 year old daughter doing it every now and then
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It is soooooooo normal. Start talking about 'private parts' and that it's okay to touch, but in her room or the bathroom.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son did this for a while. He would hide in his closet and scream when I opened it. He's 3 1/2 and hasn't done it in so long. My brothers girls are 5 and 3. They can't keep their hands out of their pants. Drives me crazy. I am always grossed out and having them wash their hands.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son did this for a while. And he went through a phase of being curious about Mommy & Daddy too. This is normal & will pass. I think you are doing a great job by not reacting, just try redirecting her attention.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 3:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my three yr.old thinks my boobs are his personal toy along with his body parts i never tell him that he is behaving badly i tell him that these are mommy's about touching their self i have four boys and my youngest is the only one i notice doing it more my ped says its normal
    missyda

Answer by missyda at 3:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• oh yeah, that's where the panties at all times outside the bathroom and talks about private time came in. They calm down after a while. With my daughter I just kept having her wash her hands b/c I get worried with girls and infections.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It is very normal and developmentally appropriate for a child your age to do this. Don't make a big deal out of it, she will stop. As long as it is not in front of other people it's ok. You can explain that it is ok to explore our bodies but it is to be done privately. She may not understand but you never know.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My almost 3 year old is starting this. We don't tell her its gross or dirty or disgusting. Just that its something you do in private.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 6:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Yes... OMG yes... The most recent question yesturday was why do I have hair in my arm pits. I guess I need to shave... LOL! Every question you can think of... Down to where babies come from and when is she going to be able to have one and when is her baby comming out of her tummy. I tell the absolute truth no matter the question so you can imagion where one leads into another. A few weeks ago it was what are those buttons on my breasts. "Those are ___ and they help mommies feed their babies. Want to see a picture of mommy feeding you when you were a baby?"
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 10:22 AM on Feb. 26, 2009