Nephew has croup...

My nephew has croup and I was wondering if my daughter should not go over there today. She was supposed to be there for a couple hours tonight while I was @ work. Opinions, please....

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 1:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Croup is a virus. It is a nasty cold virus and can spread very easily. (it spreads just like a cold) It is not treated with antibiotics since it is not bacterial. I've dealt with it for 5 years with three different kids....if bad enough some doctors will give oral steroids to help with throat inflammation, but that's only treating one symptom, not the illness of croup.

Croup is a virus which settles in the throat. In adults, it's laryngitis, in kids it's the barking cough at if bad enough, they can develop stridor.

I would not send her over if you can help it. It's no fun to deal with croup, and I've been to the ER with it one time. That was one time too many. Definitely better safe than sorry.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well, croup is just a symptom of an illness. So it depends on what is causing the croup and if he's on any meds right now such as antibiotics (if bacterial), I really would not send her over just to be safe, or I would call her Ped and ask what they think.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009