Can you go to the hospital for stress & nervous breakdowns?

What can they do for you there ? I don't have any other options because I don't have insurane & my state doesn't offer insurance for anyone under 21 that isn't pregnant. I feel like I'm going insane, I'm always stressed & over welmed. I have trouble dealing with everyday life situations & have breakdowns on a regular basis. Do they prescripe medicines for things like this at the hospital ? What can they do to help me ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• They may have a psych unit. They will admit you and do a work up to see whats wrong. You'll talk to the doctors and they can develop a plan of care for you.
    Anonymous

• Look for mental health clinics in your area. Many of them are free or go on a sliding scale. If you can't find any, then yes go to the hospital and they should be able to help you.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Are you having heart palpitations, anxiety, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, major depression, thoughts of suicide?   Basically, you can go to the ER anytime you wish, but I would not go and say, "I'm here because I'm stressed", that won't work, they will just refer you out to another doctor. You need to let them know your symptoms and see if they can give you something short term till you can see another doctor.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• some hospitals have a psych unit where they will admit you for 72 hours and do a evaluation and they can then decided whats the best way to go however not every hospital has one so if you go to the er and they dont there isnt much they can do for you.
    do you not have a health clinic thats cheaper where they take primary those who arnt insured? Id look into that first befor going to the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Some will admit you in the psych unit depending on how bad it is. And sometimes they give you anti anxiety meds and send yuou home. It all depends on you and the hospital.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009