I took my kids to there doctor's appointments. They told me the oldest DD is 38 inches I think and she is 32 pounds they told me that she is underweight not enough to worry about, but she was a little underweight. Oh ya she will be 4 in April.

My youngest is I think they said 30 inches she is 22 pounds they said she was a little overwight again nothing to be consered about, but a little overwight. She at the time she was checked she was 12 months old she is 13 months now. She has been walking since she was 9 months old. She is running everywhere now lol.

So what do you think do my kids sound overwight and underweight to you ladies??? It scares me I am afraid to feed my kids so much I do feed them, but they want to eat alllll the time and hubby is overwight and his whole side of the family everyone tells me my youngest is going to take after hubby I tell them not to say that. My whole side of the family is really thin. I am afraid my youngest DD may be heavy set is there anything I can do to make sure when she gets older she wont be that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Heck no. I hate how some doctors are saying that shit to parents now. I'm sorry, but that does not sound like your kids are under or over weight. As long as they eat a healthy, balanced diet and are active, then you don't worry about a thing. My 4 year old is 40 inches tall and 33 pounds. My 2 year old is 36 inches tall and 30 pounds. Neither of them are over or under weight. Their doctor said that they were PERFECT. What does your kid's doctor expect you to do? Stuff your 4 year old child's mouth all the time with food and starve your 1 year old? Don't think so. Don't think about it for another second. Your babies are just fine!!
    Anonymous

• Sounds perfect to me. My 4 year old is tall and lanky and the doc said to feed him more. Im like-the kid eats none stop. My 2 1/2 year old weighs just a couple pounds less than my 4 year old!

Just make sure that they are getting a balanced diet and exercise.
    Anonymous

• weight will always be influenced by genetics, just keep them active. at that age they both still have a lot of growing to do. your 4 year old will probably hit a growth spurt soon and be right about average. i hate that they give kids "weigh requirements" like that. give them time to grow a little before you decide that they over/under weight. anyway...if your dr. isnt worried you shouldnt be either. keep them both active and wait for the growth spurt. :)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• And I question the words "underweight" and "overweight" - did the doctor mean to say low on the chart (weighs less than average for that height) or high on the chart (weighs more than average for that height)? That's how averages are determined- there are people above as well as below. Feed the children nutritious food, being very moderate on the junk foods. Juice, for example, has lots of sugar- empty calories, the children would be better off with watered down juice or even better, the fruit. keep snacks fresh vegetables and fruits instead of candy and cookies. Serve white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, white bread, sparingly. Whole grains are better. Serve lower fat meats, cheese, yogurt, and I am not sure about your little tyke whether she should have lower fat milk or not... I'd check with the doctor about this.(More)

Answer by Bmat at 1:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• (cont'd)
    I'd say that the fact that you were told don't worry about it, means, don't worry about it. I'd probaby steer the little one away from sweets and toward healthier snacks. - only because overweight is a problem in this country. For the other child, they said don't worry, and if the child is eating a balanced diet, then it sounds good to me.

Answer by Bmat at 2:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would download a growth chart from the CDC or WHO. I don't remember where I got mine from. Plot their growth and see where they are. If they are about the same percentile for height vs. weight then I wouldn't worry about. What it sound like is one is probably below the 50th for weight and the other is just above. I downloaded a growth chart and checked your children's percentiles. They are fine and your dr is full of crap. Don't worry and just keep doing what you are doing.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thanks coala and the reason I am questioning is not the fact of the doctor's telling me that, but because I worry that my youngest is going to take after hubbys family bc that is what everyone keeps telling me bc she is heavier than my first was at that age. I don't want her to be like his faaily. I can eat whatever, whenever I want and not worry about gaining a pound and I don't want my girls to have to worry about what they eat. you know what I mean???
    Anonymous

• 4 year old sounds perfect not underweight at all she is just under the 50th percent for weight
    your 1 year old is also perfect not overweight at all
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:41 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter is 4, she is over 38" and weighs just about 36 lbs. She is at like the 50th percentile for her height and the 20th for her weight but she has been this way her whole life and all of her pediatricians have told me that she will just be tall and thin as a child. My middle son is 10 and he is 5'2" and weighs 120. He is very slightly overweight according to his pediatrician, so we are just making sure he stays active in sports and he eats a balanced diet. My oldest son is about average, he's 5' and weighs about 100 lbs last we checked. I think as long as you are feeding your kids a healthy well balanced diet and keeping them active then you will be fine. Teach them the importance of making healthy decisions with diet and exercise.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:27 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter was 23 pounds at 1 year, and 28 at 18 mos. The WIC people told me she was too fat! Now, she's 8 1/2 and not quite 60 pounds. Thin and eats like a darn horse! My son was actually 27 pounds and fat as a ham at 1 year, and now, 7 years old, eats normal and lean at 52-55 pounds. My 2nd son is almost 5 and around 40 pounds. He barely broke 20 pounds at a year. I thougt he was so scrawny and still is! Your kids sound normal. Babies are supposed to be chubby until they are close to 2. So, girl, feed those babies until they are full. Feed them healthy food, and encourage active play! And definitely do not talk about their weight and your fears in front of them.
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 8:46 PM on Feb. 22, 2009