Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support Help.

Okay, so baby's daddy and I had an agreement before my DD was born 300 a month. Since she has been born in October I've gotten maybe 300 total out of him. Here is the tricky part, I am married, (getting divorced), yet dd's daddy is on the birth certificate not the husband. Because neither of us have court ordered custody of dd just physical custody can I do to DHS to have them help me collect child support? Him and his gf are both saying 300 a month is too much for dd. Well thats what we agreed on. His gf is all up in it, saying go to dhs you'll only get 100 a month, or let him take his sweet time to pay you 300 a month. For february I got a total of 50 to help take care of dd. I need advice from moms who have been there on what to do and what i can and should do. Thanks mamas!


Asked by Sparta. at 2:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Tell the GF to mind her business.
    It's between you, your ex and your DD.
    You NEED that money from him to help with raising her.
    Take him to court hun, it's the only way you're going to get anything.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • take him to court?!

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • I would make the arrangement legal...he's not obligated to pay you anything until you go to court....and I'm sure it cost you way more than 300 a month to take care of your DD. What an a$$hole.


    Answer by Farrahann at 2:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • well his gf is wrong i used DHS to get CS from my ex and i get $525/month. DHS will go off of your income and his and determine a correct amount. you can google free child support calculator and get a good idea of what that amount will be. As for getting DHS to help you out...does your local DHS have a website? I just got online and dowloaded all the paperwork i needed and mailed it in. If not go to the DHS office and they will give you a packet. Just be prepared for it take a long time. my ex is on the BC and signed acknowledgment of paternity when my son was born and it still took 18 months...but now he is having to back child support for that time. it would definitely be worth it to get everything started though.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • go to DHS it will not be taken care of until you go there. Make it legal make a paper trail do what you can. it's 25% of your incomes that they go off of... so if you don't work and he makes 2500 / month he has topay 625

    Answer by Kelly_Ann at 2:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • Whatever help you will get will ultimately depend on how much he makes. If he doesn't work, then there's little to nothing to go on. And a verbal contract is legal, but very hard to prove without a recording of it.
    And tell his gf that if he would pay on time you wouldn't have to worry about DHS but file anyway. At least then you will know when the money is supposed to be there.

    Answer by JJones02 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • the first mistake you made is making an agreement without the courts involved. If you don't get a lawyer and get it in writing he doens't have to give you anything. Usually you get 18% per child whether they think thats too much or not. I am paying almost $500/monthwith my DH for his son with someone else. Of course, I think its too much cuz. its partly my damn money but you need to get a court order so you don't have to worry about it or don't plan on seeing any of it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009