When did you start letting your little one brush his/her own teeth?

My son is 2 1/2 and wants to brush his teeth by himself. I always let him brush for a minute or two by himself after I am done brushing for him, but he wants to do it all on his own and I worry that if I don't do the pre-brushing that his teeth won't get as clean as they should. I wondered at what age did you start letting your child brush his/her own teeth and how did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The dentist says children do not have enough coordination to fully brush their teeth on their own until age 8. The problem with 2 year olds is that what goes into their mouths is sort of the only thing they actually have control over and will fight vehemently to not let you brush and instead they want to do it.

At age 2 you really need to brush your child's teeth. By age 5 the child can brush their teeth in the mornings but you should still be brushing their teeth at night as this is the most important brushing. By age 8 they can do 100% of the brushing.
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I do the same thing. I just let my DD pretend like she's brushing and then I put her in a head lock and do it right, lol! I think I will trust her around 5 or 6.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2.5 too and very much into the "ME DO!!!!" phase.
    I let her brush them and I watch... giving her reminders like "don't forget the top ones... ohhh the front teeth want to be shiny too"
    Then I brush them. Sometimes a tantrum is thrown, sometimes not. But I brush them.
    That way she gets practice in proper brushing and I know they are clean.
    From what I read, a child needs help and spot checking with brushing until 7 or 8! Otherwise they get sloppy habits or even try the "wet toothbrush" trick.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My DD is 3 and there is no way she can brush by herself. We let her choose who goes first but usually she brushes by herself, then we take over and finish the job.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 2:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009