How can I get him to follow me?

My 2 1/2 yr old son wont follow me when we are out in public. In fact, the runs the other direction! I am having another baby soon and there wont be enough room in the shopping cart for everyone and its time he learns to be a big boy. But how?? How do I get him to follow me? Rewards and punishments are not working.

bowiepainter

Asked by bowiepainter at 2:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i bought my son one of those "baby leashes" the kind with a harness in the front and a backpack. he doesnt mind it and likes being able to carry his own "pack pack" with all his stuff.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would also say a leash. I said I would never use one, but I did.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I've only recently started letting my daughter walk in the store. She knows that if she runs off, grabs stuff off the shelves, or doesn't come when I call, she will go back in the cart. That's working for us.
    BUT there are times when a leash is needed. Not all kids need them - some will placidly walk along beside mom - but some kids are like yours. Testing the limits, wanting to explore, clueless about safety. I've got one but haven't had to use it yet.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• With my 2 yr old twins I put one in the front of a carraige and one in the main part if the cart with the extra seating isn't available. Try those. You should be able to snap the bucket carseat to the handle and have your toddler ride in the extra seats.
    Your other option is a tandem double stroller. You'll be able to snap a carseat in and have the toddler sit in front. You'll use underneath as your "cart".
    Your final option: 2 shopping carts. I've done this on occasion.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm all for leashes! They are great at keeping the kids close and giving me peace of mind. You can always hook one end onto your belt loop so your hands are still free...
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• leash yes but also when he runs off spank him. Worked for my kid.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 8:15 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• sorry ladies but i refuse to put my kid on a leash...and i REALLY refuse to spank him. spanking is a big big BIG nono in my family. any other suggestions??
    bowiepainter

Answer by bowiepainter at 7:48 PM on Feb. 22, 2009