epidural?

For ladies who got an epidural, did you have anything else with the epidural like any other medication?
If you JUST had the epidural.. did you feel the birth of your child?...
just curious.

kwiseman19

Asked by kwiseman19 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had just the epidural and it was fabulous. I felt no pain but I could still feel her moving down the birth canal and moving around and everything. I had total sensation...just no pain! And I was up and moving within an hour of the delivery so it really didn't affect me too badly. I would avoid any of the iv narcotics they can offer. I've heard that all they really do is make you loopy which just makes it harder to deal with the pain because you can't really think straight or anything. Everyone I have ever talked to said they sucked and that they regretted gettting them.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i had a demoral iv before the epidural. did i feel the birth of my child? i guess that depends what you mean. i didnt feel any contractions but i did feel a lot of pressure. if you are trying to decide if you want an epidural...i got my epi at 10:30 in the morning and still couldn't walk at midnight. i'm in no way saying dont get one but its something to think about, i also know it doesnt effect everyone like that.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Before my epidural, they gave me some medication called stadol. It did not really help with the pain, just was supposed to help me "not care" about the pain as much. All it did was make me completely high! I would not recommend taking this. Then, when I did get my epidural, I could not feel one single thing at all. I couldn't even feel when I was supposed to push. In fact, it took the doctor so long to get to me (she was still chewing her lunch when she came to deliver my baby) that I had already passed my time to push and was not even contracting anymore and the baby's heart rate was going crazy. I was pretty pissed to say the least. I am not telling you not to get an epidural, but, I would tell them to turn it down a little when you are close to pushing so you can feel the need to push atleast.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Demerol first the epidural. You're supposed to be feel a little something by the time you give birth. my babies were born so fast I don't remember alot of feeling. Know the risks before you get one though. And definitely get the demerol first otherwise getting the epi. may prove more painful than it needs to be.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I went au naturale. It sucked. I will definitely take any drugs they offer next time, and sneak in a bottle of Jack Daniels, just in case. Ha!
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 3:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had one epidural with the first one. Before they gave me it when I was in some pain they gave me something called nubane (or I think that's what they said... kind of fuzzy since it was almost 10 years ago). I felt some but not really pain just pressure after they gave me the epidural.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 3:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had a shot of something in very early labor to help calm me down, the nurse said it would help move things along....stadol I believe it was. Pointless, just made me feel stoned.
    The epi itself was okay, it didn't hurt and it worked well. I only had it on for an hour and it was worn off for the actual delivery, which was good because I didn't really want to have an Epi to begin with (another story). It was harder to push at first, before it completely wore off though.
    The thing I didn't like was being confined to a bed and it made recovery that much worse by being hooked up to an IV and catheter. I will never have another Epi ever again! It was not a good thing.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I got an epidural with my first and had no problems with it. It didn't hurt when they put it in cause I was having such bad contractions. I still knew when to push and everything I could feel what was goin n but with out the pain. My second I went with out it only because it happpend so fast. I would've gotten it again if I was in labor any longer. Oh and when I got it I was able to walk around by the time they brought my son back from the nursery..
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i got stadol first which is basicly like getting a shot of heroin. really really strong heroin lol. i was soo freaking high! then they started giving me patocin cuz i was not dialating. the shot wore off so i got another but it didnt work as well the second time so i ended up getting an epidural i could not feel anything at all below the waste but i was awake and able to watch everything from a mirror that they had hanging from the ceiling. al i could really feel was a lil urge to push when i was having contractions.
    Anonymous