What the heck are some parents thinking when naming their children?

I mean, these names in the "polls" section are ridiculous. I hope some of them are jokes, because otherwise I feel SO BAD for these kids. I don't understand why every name these days have to be sooooo unique...it's to the point that the names are just absurd!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know if it's actually the names themselves that bother me as much as when parents have to "tweek" the spelling to the point that you can barely tell what the name is. I feel bad for those kids because they will spend the rest of their lives correcting the spelling of their name. How annoying...
    PB_J

Answer by PB_J at 9:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i dont really care what others are naming their children, heck its THEIR child. they can name it whatever they want.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think if we all had white America names it would be very very boring. The names most CM's choose on those polls are the most unethnic, borning most common names even when the OP is latino or black. Its so boring.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• well we cant really see you to tell if you are black or not. lol but to each his own is what i say
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• And whether you name your child Mary, Aiden, Melissa, Demetrius, Diago, Laquan...who cares..its all beautiful.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• They seem to want ''different" or "cute" instead of a name that will suit the child well all though his or her life. What seems to be a cute name for a baby may be just sad for an adult running a business or in a professional position. A student of mine was embarrassed about and never went by the name "Lovey." Lovey is a pretty name, but she hated it. I can see her parents seeing their new baby and saying oh isn't she just a little lovey and deciding to call her that. And while she was a small child, it would be so precious, but once she got into school I think the cuteness would not be the best thing. And I also wonder about names that nobody is going to be able to spell or pronounce, that seems like a handicap for the child. And also parents need to consider the teasing factor of names,- how easily would other children find some similar word to tease about the name.

Answer by Bmat at 2:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I once had an airport security agent actually yell at me because we named our son Ryne and we call him Ryno (like rhino, the animal). She told us what we were doing to him was wrong, and she did her best to publicly shame us. Lol... I was so amused. And, interesting point, she's black and we're white.
    Anonymous

• I'm SO sick of seeing the name Nevaeh. (Heaven backwards, wtf??)
    It's the stupidest name I've ever heard. Even worse, I saw a girl ask what we thought of the name "Navaeh"
    Why take a name that already sucks and mispell it so it now sucks and doesn't even make sense?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Naming your kid Ryne is pretty bad. It sounds like the part of the ham you don't eat haha
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 2:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I guess I don't really care what other people choose to name their children...but some names do make me just shake my head. My test for names, when I was pregnant, was that I stuck my head out my back door and called the name 10 or 12 times, closed the door, opened it and called the name again 10 or 12 times, and repeated this several more times (just like I'll have to do some day when I want her to come in for dinner), and the name I still liked after all that was the name we used.
    So, I guess if you can call out "Starlynn Skaela-marie! Time for dinner!" 300 times and still love it, more power to ya!
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 3:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009