Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Hot Water

I called our property manager 5 days ago because we had no hot water in our apartment. She waited 3 days before she called a plumber and once he did come to look at our water heater, said there was nothing wrong. We still do not have hot water, I just talked to our property manager and she's a little unconcerned to say the least. What can I do now? I feel like I've hit a wall. I suggested that she should come to my apartment and feel the cold water for herself, maybe take a shower, but she declined. Help!!


Asked by Mizzjos at 2:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 4 (29 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (3)
  • Check your lease, too. When we lived in our apartment it was stated in the lease that any issue with the hot water heater was ours. Meaning we had to pay for the plumber to fix it or for a new hot water heater. I didn't read the fine print and we had issues with our hot water. Luckily our landlady (for once) was nice and sent someone to look at it but they said nothing was wrong. Problem was we only ever got like 15-20 minutes of hot water and then it would run cold. You try bathing 6 people and do dishes with only 20 minutes of hot water. It sucked.
    We were also made to replace a refrigerator that wasn't ours because it broke. Then she took it from us because we didn't pay the water bill before we moved.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • Hot water is a public health issue. By law she must supply your apartment with hot water. Call the housing authority for your town to complain.

    Answer by timelessglass at 2:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

  • Check your lease and your local renting laws. In many states, you can make a written request for something to be fixed within a certain time period. If it is not, you can hire your own private contractor to do it and deduct the amount you paid from the contractor from your rent (which is basically forcing the landlord to pay for it). For example, if your rent is $800 per month and you paid your contractor $200 to fix it, you will only give the landlord $400 that month to cover the cost of your repairs. If they cause problems for you with this, I would research whom to contact to complain about your landlord (government contact) or possibly call the Department of Health for your state. Each state has specific renting laws, make sure you know what they are before doing anything. If your apartment is owned by a corporation, try contacting their headquarters to complain.

    Answer by NovemberLove at 1:03 PM on Feb. 21, 2009