he wants me to pay half of all the bills

does anybody knows about how the law in Fl works, to protect the wifew, my situation is that I have been working for three yrs, giving my husband my paycheck everyweek. He makes more money than me, much more and he wants me to pay half of the bills. He does not pay for his car, or blackberry, or gas, or health inssurance, he can used the company car for dinners, etc.

He pays everything from our account including his child support, but what I dont know is how much money he is been putting into that account. He has different accounts, and money markets, but they are HIS. Can you give me a suggestion. I got fed up and told him that from now on I was going to manage my money. I dont think is fair for me to pay half of everything, the house we live in he had it before we got marry, so is HIS. I need your advise girls. Any lawyer in Cafe mom????

Chenell299

Asked by Chenell299 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you need to address his control issues first.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• your married and this is going on? thats strange to me. first off why dont you have access to the checking account? second its nto wrong for you to help pay the bills thats what a married couple does.
    Anonymous

• WOW! What the point of being married if you guys have to divide the bills? Everything should be join.
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you are married, why would you have a problem paying half the bills? I would definately open a separate account for yourself though.
    Anonymous

• Why dont you both figure out your bills and pay a percentage of your income? Then its fair.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• you're married... until you get divorced, there's nothing you can do about it.

stop giving him your checks would be a good start (duh)

why shouldn't you pay half? you are half the relationship right? there are 2 of you after all. Did you get married to be supported for the rest of your life?

even if you could go to court over this, no judge would say that you don't have to pay your own bills and that your husband should pay them all for you. you work, you have income, pay your half of the bills.

you got married you basically turned into 1 unit. Everything in your relationship is BOTH of yours unless he had you sign a prenup. therefore the house is half yours so of course you should pay for it, or would you rather live in a box on the street?

Anonymous

• Good for you saying you will manage your own money! The two of you need to sit down and discuss what is fair. I think you should pay a proportional percentage of the bills based on you and your husband's income.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 3:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sounds like money isn't the only issue you have in your marriage. Is he controlling in other areas?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I like MamaChamp's idea of each paying a certain percentage of your income to pay the bills and upkeep, but then you each would keep the rest of your own income to spend or save as you wish. You should put yours in your own account. Ideally, though, you'd just pool your money and pay the bills from the pool. But if this is his attitude, make sure you are getting some of your money and building up your own accounts and investments. I can't get over that it seems very selfish of him to not share his higher pay with you. It's not as though you were just living together, you are husband and wife, and that means sharing, except in cases where one of the couple would spend all the money frivolously. It is a reason to discuss attitudes about money before getting married.

Answer by Bmat at 3:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I wonder if he does half of the house work and child care???
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009