Severe eczema

Ok, DS's eczema has taken a turn for the worse. We have already upped his steroid cream to 2% and I slather him in that and hydrophor multiple times a day, but it is still getting worse, and spreading. Now it's not just his legs, but his torso, back, arms, and face. He has the bumpy kind (not just dry skin, dry skin with little red bumps all over it). Anyone have any tried and true home remedies? Willing to try most anything, because even with Benadryl and his creams he is scratching the hell out if it.

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 6:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2014 in Kids' Health

• ok.
    troll doll and baby had it.
    doc said they out grow it at about 12 months so i reintroduced. no issues unless baby eats ice cream. OMFG! his ass is stankier than a $2 whore.

it could be the cheese. have you tried goat cheese?
    from what i learned in the breast feeding group (and here) some people are only reactive to certain dairy processes.

like, can eat cottage cheese but not sour cream.
    may be trial and error?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• I have Psoriasis not eczema but I know that some find success with coal tar for eczema. I don't know about overseas but I use a coal car topical ointment(more like a sticky thick carmex consistency). They make other shampoos and and other ointments. I found this one at CVS
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• Have you had him tested for food allergies? After I found out she had food allergies, and we thus removed those things from her diet, her eczema got tons better. Unfortunately, she also has outdoor allergies, so it gets bad again during the spring/summer time (and allergy medication doesn't help her anymore).

I hate that steroid cream. It never worked on Laura. All I ever use on her anymore is just the Eucerine cream. Also, this is something I was told to do....after bath, do NOT dry, put lotion on IMMEDIATELY, then take 100% cloth pjs (I used those footed jamas with zippers) and put her in them, still no drying off. Her eczema looked tons better the next morning.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• i do not know if this applies, have you looked into coconut oil?
    not butter, oil.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• I have used coconut oil and it helps a little, but not as much as I would like. I feel like I would have to apply it to his entire body every hour. That is literally how bad it is, I am not even sure if they can give him stronger steroid cream than what he already has.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• i know someone who would use lard *icky face

wish i had more to offer here's a bump
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• ^^Her being Laura, my middle child.
    hopeandglory53

• He is allergic to milk, but has not been tested for other foods. Allergy testing here for under 8 is unsafe and so they will draw blood to test for a specific allergy but if we don't have any idea it's not really effective. We did that with him once and the 10 things they tested him for (random environmental) came back mostly negative.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• if he is allergic to milk have you eliminated all the components? in like bread? and do you know that if they are allergic to milk they may also be allergic to soy?
    the breast feeding group tells you where to find hidden dairy sources
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2014

• We have actually started reintroducing it in his diet because they told me he could still out grow it, and he hasn't gotten constipated. I wonder if the cheese is what is making his eczema worse. I was told he could still have it if cooked. (Like in breads, cookies, ect.)
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2014