Do you think a money tree at a wedding is rude or inappropriate in any way?

My mother is livid b/c my brother wants to have a money tree at his wedding. My mother thinks its tacky and ugly to ask people to display money they have given.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it seems to be pretty common now days. lots of people are doing it now days. also they are now doing something where you pay a doller to dance with the bride during a song or two.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Whats a money tree? Hmmm I am about to get married! Maybe I will do this =) We are doing the thing where they pay to dance with the bride.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I agree with your mother that it is tacky and in poor taste. There should be an obvious but out of the way place for guests to leave gifts and cards. Gifts and cards should not be put on display.
    Anonymous

• I dont see an issue with it. They have them for baby showers now too. You can put gift cards on them as well. I know my best friend had a money dance at her wedding, and no one thought anything about it. People dance with the bride and groom and put money on them.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a bit trashy. But I'm a snob so...there you go.
    Anonymous

• I know there are a lot of young moms here and for the most part I consider myself pretty laid back however, I am 42 and have to go with my "old school" ways on this one. I think it is tacky! I had a frient that got married and asked us all to bring a dish! Plus in the invitations they slipped in a small piece of paper in addition to where they were registered to saying they liked gift cards and cash too...I thought that was about one of the tackiest things I have ever seen! Just sayin...sorry.
    Dollar dances and things like that are better. You get gifts of money in cards as well...why appear greedy?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I never heard of that, only the dollar dance. I don't think it would be a wise idea. They are going to get cash gifts in their cards or checks anyway.
    Anonymous

• A money tree is where you set up a fake tree...and let people clip money to it to give to the bride and groom. Most people do it at the reception.
    Anonymous

• lol i'd prefer a money dance :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I dont see an issue with it depending on how many people are coming, etc. I have seen them become more popular over time. When I got married we just sent out invitations and on them it said where we were registered. The gifts came to our house before the wedding and we only got maybe 20 gifts at the wedding. I was always taught not to open gifts or whatever at your wedding so I am thinking having a money tree isnt appropriate if you go along with the not opening fgifts in front of guests.

Answer by gemgem at 3:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009