Leaving a 14 month old with a sitter?

I have never been away from my youngest, aside from leaving her with dad.

My sister is visiting and baby knows her but is so extremely stranger danger to everyone. Her sister and cousins would be here too and she loves playing with them. Would you leave your baby knowing she was safe but would be uncomfortable? I was thinking maybe SO and I could get dinner or something.... But she has never let my sister hold her. Bad idea? My sister said the longer I wait the worse it will get. I assume if I am not here she would be fine with being held by someone else. Maybe run to the store for a few minutes and see how baby does first?

Pretty sad. Haven't gone anywhere with my man alone in years.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I second what tnt said. Do a dry run for a shorter amount of time to see how it goes.

I remember the 1-2 year old room at the daycare facility I worked at. Kids are master manipulators. Parents (me included) would drop of their kids, and the kids would start sobbing like the world was ending. The funny thing is, they'd stop just as soon as mom/dad was out of the room. I checked one time with my own kid. I dropped him off, he started crying, and by the time I was out the door and around the corner into the observation room to check on him he was just fine. It was a grand total of about 5 seconds.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:26 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• I think for you own sanity I would run to the store for a few...I would give it at least 15 minutes probably close to 30-45. If that goes well(meaning baby settles after a while) then I would go ahead with the dinner plan.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• I had to. My son was also like that, there was only 1 woman that could hold him, but he was in daycare. He literally threw himself on the ground and cried every morning (at 10 months old) unless that 1 woman was working. It is hard, bu your sister is right, the longer you wait the worse it will get. After a few times it should get better.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:36 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• I would. I don't consider a family member a "sitter".
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:13 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• Go. She'll be fine. She'll probably have a great time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• As long as you trust the person you are leaving her with, then I say you are long overdue for some time away. She will be fine. Rose is right, she may cry for a few minutes, but I'm guessing they'll get her happy & entertained in no time. You deserve a break mama, take it! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• She'll have her sister and cousins to distract her. Once the initial "trauma" is over, they will be off and playing like gangbusters. You trust your sister. I am sure you probably have a cell just in case. Go. Take a night off while you have someone you completely trust to care for your babies to help you.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• I agree. Go for a walk around the block (if able), be away for 15-20 mins to see how she does. I've been leaving Tori with her oldest sister babysitting now for a while, and she's good for a couple hours w/o mommy around :D But then again, she loves her big sissy. IDK how she'd do w/o one of us around.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• yeah, you should let this happen for BOTH of you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:10 PM on Feb. 10, 2014

• I think this is a great opportunity to help get her used to other people. It's not as if you're leaving her with strangers, is it? :)
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 6:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2014