Is it possible I ruined a tile in my shower?

We are renting a house with a tile shower...the tiles are tan colored with a caramel colored grout. It looked like I was getting some mildew especially in one corner so I sprayed the cleaner on - a cleaner for tub & tile (melaleuca brand) and let it sit for a bit while I read the boys a story and tucked 'em in for naps. I came back scrubbed and rinsed and when it dried it appears to have bleached the area!!!...but the funny thing is its only that one tile and grout around it. This was a few weeks back...haven't used that cleaner again (frankly not sure what to use) and it appears to be getting worse. Its white and streaky - thought maybe it could even be mineral deposits, soap scum...but why just on the one tile??!! Any ideas/helpful hints?

romanojm

Asked by romanojm at 4:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We have a tile shower and I am pretty sure that you CANT do anything to hurt it.

I usually spray mine down with clorox to keep away mildew. Every few weeks I scrub it with a stiff scrubber sponge and AJAX it gets rid of the soap sum or mineral deposits like you were talking about.

It kinda gets a dirty looking film over it sometimes. And only in certain spots, other spots on the shower stays clean all the time? strange.
    Anonymous

• The cleaner you used probably was for mold and mildew and had an industrial bleaching agent. The grout is most likely fine and now is very clean! LOL I would buy more of the cleaner and use it over all the grout for an even clean.

If all else fails, you can call a professional to do re-grouting or even color the grout in your shower.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If the cleaner you used had bleach in it you can def. discolor the grouting. If the tiles are glazed they should not be harmed even if it had bleach in it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My guess would be is that the tile was a replacement tile, and that it wasn't glazed.. that is why one and not all of the tiles were effected.. Not really sure if it can be fixed beyond replacing it, or there are paints if you want to get creative (however besure to glaze it, lol). Either that, or the previous tenant was dirty, and the tiles were really dirty, lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2009