Can I attend my 12 yo son`s physical exam

I`m single mother of a 12 yo boy, and I alwais present at his regular physical exams. Like every other mother I`m concerned about his health and physical development. The medical office policy in our paediatrics requires a parent or guardian to be present during the exam and all of my friends attend their sons examinations even at age of 14 – 15.

Yoanna_mother

Asked by Yoanna_mother at 4:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• If its is required why are you asking permission?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Is your son getting to the age that he is embarrassed if you see him naked? Is that why you are asking about it even though it's required?
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well I would be very embarassed if I was you son to be honest ..
    He's a growing young man, and probably VERY aware of the changes his body is going through.
    If it's required for you to be in the room, I suggest turning your back towards them and just present body and listening wise.
    You don't need your eyes to listen to the Dr.
    Maybe ask your son what he feels should happen.
    After all it IS HIS body.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sometimes parents disregard some thoughts and wishes of their children in the interest of their proper behaviour or health reason. Practically, witness the exam is a rare opportunity of the mother to update her impression about the stage of her son`s physical development, especially after stop bath him at certain age.
    Yoanna_mother

Answer by Yoanna_mother at 4:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Ask your son what he would like and go in after the embarrassing part of the exam.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If it's required, then there is no question.
    Anonymous

• I find it a little inapropriate but its up to you and your son why dont you ask him how he feels about it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If it is required then you have no choice. It must be excruciatingly embarrassing to the children, though. They do a prostate exam don't they at that age or around there? And you'd think that the doctor would want to discuss birth control and STDs with the kids and what worries they have about their changing bodies. Perhaps the doctor can have his or her little talk after the exam and after the mother has left the room. I can see that they'd want a chaperone so the child could not say they had been molested. Perhaps the mother could just stand with her back to the examination so the boy could have his privacy.

Answer by Bmat at 5:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Why don't you ask him if hes okay with it. It might be that he would like you to leave the room while the doc is doing the whole "turn and cough" thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Your son will probably be OK with it as long as you are. You are his mom after all.
    Weeds

Answer by Weeds at 12:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2009