Why do I see so many parents bringing their child into our daycare and THEY are wearing a jacket and their kid is in short sleeves?

Last week it was warm enough to wear a short sleeve. But it has turned off cooler this week. And it bothers me to see a little 2 year old in short sleeves and their parent who is dropping them off has on a lovely warm jacket.

Wouldnt you think of putting one on your kid too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I see this all the time just around town. Morons.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 4:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Depends...are they getting out of the car and just running in? My kids don't wear coats in the car. Just the other day it was in the 30s here and when we got home our 2yo ran from the car (half way down the block) to the house holding her coat because she doesn't wear it while int he car and it seemed silly to spend a minute putting it on her when it would take less then that to get into the house. Of course, both me and my husband and our 7yo son were wearing just hoodies so...
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Here's why I've done this. I keep my car in the garage and I warm it up before we get in it. The kids go straight from the house to the car and aren't exposed to the cold so I forget that the tempurature outside is cooler. I don't wear a coat myself so I don't think about it with the kids. I do keep a blanket of theirs in the car so if it is cold out I can bundle them in that to go from the car to the daycare/school. Usually the are outside for 30 seconds or less though.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I agree with you.
    I went to the doctor today for myself. And I brought my daughter who is 6 months. I live in Louisiana so the weather is very unpredictable. But at the time when i left it was in the 40's.
    I had my daughter in a long sleeve onesie, blue jeans, socks and shoes of course with jacket.
    I get into the doctors office to see a 15 month in a sundress no jacket in sight nothing!!!
    but to answer your question probably some parents think that the jacket will be enough.
    Im not sure. But for a grown up yes.. and child No!
    MiLeesMommy08

Answer by MiLeesMommy08 at 4:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My friends mom sent her to school all the time in the dead, cold winter with no jacket. Then our PE teacher would have us go outside in 50 degree weather sometimes and disregard the fact that she didn't have a jacket.
    Anonymous

• I see it around my town all the time and it's discusting.
    I HATE seeing irresponsible parents having children.
    Put clothes on your baby, just because they don't say anything to you doesn't mean you can treat them like that.
    I see moms carrying their babies out of cars with just a diaper on.
    It's sick.
    Just sick.
    If you have clothes on, then so does your child.
    You wear a coat?
    Then so do they.
    Idiots.
    Anonymous

• I see that, too. I've seen babies in 50 degree weather with no shoes on and just a tshirt and diaper! or toddlers with sandals and sundresses on when its windy, rainy and cold...

the same thing applies when I see a mom dressed from head to toe , complete with mani and pedi and their kids look busted as ever with too small clothing or not the appropriate clothing.. (hate to put it that way but I believe your kids should come first..even before yourself and your fancy nails).
    Anonymous

• I don't always put a jacket on dd, because she ends up being SOAKED with sweat. Of course, she always has warm long sleeved fleece/sweater/sweatshirt on. We have one of those carseat covers, so I just put that on and it's like a jacket for the whole seat without making her sweat like crazy. MIL bought her all these huge snowsuits that she rarely wears, because she boils in them. She actually has worn one of them a couple times though, because it has been especially cold here lately, but when she does wear it, I have to dress her really lightly underneath. The car is also always warmed up, before she gets in.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well I am really skinny and feel the cold much more than I ever have in my life..so I tend to weight about fifty layers more than anyone else.

My son gets quite hot easily which I heard it typical for boys so we go by what his dad thinks. Usually his dad is wearing a t shirt in the freezing cold so its a medium between both of us. In cooler weather though my son will always have a long sleeve on - I on the otherhand will probably have about fifty layers. He wears cloth diapers too which help keep him warm.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• The thing that bugs me is when I see someone carrying a small baby and it'll be breezy or even windy and the baby won't have a hat or blanket or anything! Makes me want to run over there and put a blanket over them but I don't think the parent would like that! Surprisingly I've seen this more then once.
    Anonymous