How much is too much for a retainer fee?

I saw a lawyer today in pursuit of custody for my child. His hourly rate was pretty expensive..about $265/hr. In order to hire him, it would cost $7500. If the whole amount is not used, then I get whatever is left. My husband said that if I like this lawyer and feel comfortable with him, then do it. He is a good lawyer and he seems to know what he is doing. At least more than the other 5 lawyers I consulted with. My MIL thinks it is too much. What has other people paid for a retainer? How much does the whole process usually cost? I know it probably differs from case to case but I am trying to get a general picture.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• My attorney has a $2000 retainer but you have to pay your monthly invoice. That money is just there for backup. My last invoice was for $2400 and we didn't even go to court. So, if that money is used during the course of your case, then no, it's not too much
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• shop around and get at least 4 quotes
    Anonymous