Stripping Membranes = Induction?

Does anyone know if stripping emebranes is considered inducing labor? I am pregnant with my second child and had a C-section with my 1st casue she was breech. My doc told me that as long as I go into labor with this one before the sceduled C-section at 40 weeks, I can try for a VBAC, but they won't induce me. Just wondering if this is considered induction becasue I'd like to do everything possible to have this baby naturally and avoid a C-section

RebekahsMommy06

Asked by RebekahsMommy06 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's a procedure done intended to induce labor, but its not an actual induction.

I had my membranes stripped 3x with my last pregnancy and it never worked, but I do know people it has worked for;)

Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I don't think that counts as induction ... but you may get different opinions. To me, induction is when you use drugs to get contractions going.

Stripping membranes doens't necesarrily jump start labor though. I had mine stripped and started to go into labor that night, but then it stopped. I didn't deliver until one week later ... hope I'm not bursting your bubble! I had a csection with my son and would love to have a VBAC for the next baby.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It is considered a labor inducer, yes. It's a procedure used to try and induce labor.. while less invasive then a medical induction it's still a form of "induction" (as is taking castor oil).

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my dr told me the same thing as long as i went into labor on my own i could have a vbac and he is willing to strip my membranes at 39wks if i havnt gone into labor but he did say tht it doesnt always work. So ask yor dr what his view is on it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Stripping your membranes is a form of induction. It is meant to irritate the uterus, which causes contractions.

How did your doctor get to the conclusion that you automatically expire at 40 weeks? There is no medical research that suggests that vbac moms should not be allowed to gestate past 40 weeks. The only concern for a vbac labor is rupture, which is less then 1%. That means you have a 99% chance of having a perfectly normal labor and birth.
    squish

Answer by squish at 6:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You could simply not show up for the c-section or hire a provider who knows that pregnancy lasts up to 42 weeks instead of 40. He can't legally drop you from care after 37 weeks anyway. I did the latter for my VBA2C. I went into labor with him at 41 weeks and 3 days. He was perfect and so was the labor. I'm currently pregnant and I'm a week past my due date.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Yes, it is a form of induction, just less effective than other methods.
    Anonymous

• p.s. You do not have a set date to get the baby out. The baby gets out when its ready. I would not have an elective c-section at 40 weeks just because the doctor says it's time. It's obviously NOT time if you haven't had the baby yet. Be patient and please don't get a c-section!

I just had a VBAC a couple of months ago and went over my due date. It's no different.
    Anonymous