What should I do with this $1000

My husband got paid an extra $1000 today. He got a higher than usual bonus! Anyway, what should I do with it? I have paid all our bills, and I figure after I buy groceries, and fill up the gas tanks I will stay with about $1000. I am not sure if I should put it in our savings, give some to charity, go and spend it (even though we don't need anything, but I thought of stocking up on necesseties such as diapers), or maybe all of the above. What do you think? My first instinct is to save it, by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Definitely stock up on food.
    Anonymous

• pay for our traffic tickets we got since we couldnt afford registration.
    Anonymous

• save it
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 5:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would definitely save it. But if you really can't think of anything to do with it, feel free to send it to me, lol!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• give it to me... i mean save it ;] hehe jk put it in savings!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You could give it to me :)
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• save it!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• save it momma - for sure - you never know what the future brings. go with your instincts.
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Spend, because spending helps the economy. but spend on items you can use. Stock up on non-perishable food. Stock up on diapers. Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, anything you use quite often. By doing this, you free up money in your paychecks for a while to spend on other items. I answered a question earlier on what Americans need to do to help the economy, and I say we need to stop saving and start spending. Our money sitting in bank accounts is doing nothing to help the economy. Save enough for a couple weeks living expenses, and spend the rest. On things you need.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Save a chunk of it and then stock up on things that you know that you will need. I love getting paid and knowing that I have nothing to buy, cause I already have it here! It frees me up to save more because I don't end up going to the store and leaving with more stuff than I needed.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 6:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009