would you/ have you given your baby a steroid?

my 11 week old has a cold that has gone on for 2.5 weeks. our family dr. wants to put her on a steroid now. i'm currently giving her albuteral breathing treatments, antibiotics, and saline drops in her stuffy nose. i feel so terrible for her- she's been stuffy for 2 nights, but the word steroid scares me. any experience with this treatment?

MommyJal

Asked by MommyJal at 5:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Abuterol is a steroid, isn't it? When my son had pneumonia we had to give him Albuterol breathing treatments and that's the only steroid he's ever had.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 5:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sometimes it is necessary. Do whatever is best for your child. I'd rather my dd be on a steroid than not be able to breathe.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My kids have been on steroids a few times when they had croup pretty bad.

Watch for an increased appetite, and a drop back to normal when the medication is out of her system if you decide to follow the doctor's recommendation.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• The dr. gave some to my 2 yr old when she had croup a few months ago. It really helped her breath a lot better & get over it. If it had not worked she would had to be admitted to the hospital. I am greatful it did.
    Anonymous

• Oh for sure!! Steriods work wonders for some respiratory infections. Why are you worried?? They are not the same as muscle building steroids. How they work is they help pop open the little air sacks in the lungs. And they start working within about 8 hours of the first dose.
    Albuterol is not a steroid like the pp suggested.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I haven't had to give my 3 children breathing treatments in 9 + months.

I give them 1 oz a day of BB - whole food liquid organic suppliment.

Check it out on my web-site www.Healthy4Body.com

I can answer all your questions.

My middle son had other health issues as well - chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 he is now 4 has gained 2 lbs in 3 mo. and is 95% better. My children are less sick this year then last year.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Steriods vs. a baby that can't get proper oxygen to her developing brain. Hhhmmm. Wondering why there would even be a question......
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 1:41 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• There are steriods in albuterol anyway. Sometims it is best to listen to the doctor. He would not give them if he felt her bronc tubes were open enough. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't, and why is that lil baby on antibiotics for a cold????
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son went through two steroid treatments when he was very little... but it was intra-muscular injections for a life-threatening disorder...so very different. The oral steroids can cause some temporary immune supression, and some mood swings, but it goes away once she's off them. Good luck!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2009