Any tips on getting 15month old twins to sleep in their cribs?

Due to unexpected circumstances, we co-sleep, which was not our original plan... I have been trying to get them to sleep in their crib(s) but have had no luck... any tips?

peekab00

Asked by peekab00 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we didnt co-sleep but i do have twins. they are old enough now to cry it out some if they have to. i agree with letting them sleep together at least. you can get a twin bed with rails or put the mattress straight on the floor and get a rail. as for the smell of mom and dad, you could sleep each night with an extra sheet on/in your bed, one for the kiddos bed. then the next day put that sheet on their bed and it will smell like you guys.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm an advocate for co-sleeping so you won't find any negatives about that from me - 16 month old sleeps happily in our bed still.

My suggestion would be - if you really don't want them in your bed anymore - let them sleep together at least, in a toddler bed with a rail, in a crib, whatever, just together.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Do they climb out? Otherwise, I guess I don't see what the problem is. Put them there and leave them until naptime is over. That's what we've done.

But now all the co-sleeping, non-CIO parents are going to go after me....LOL
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well sometimes the mattress is too hard for them. I know that they are made like that for a reason (SIDS) and so they don't suffocate, but my daughter didn't want to sleep in her crib either until my dad took two of her receiving blankets and I think folded them into 4ths or something like that (just enough for cushion, but not enough for it to be too cushy) and made it into a padded mattress. Then she slept in it for longer than 10 minutes.
    izzimommy203

Answer by izzimommy203 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• sometimes its the smell of mommy and daddy that they love. I also co sleep but we have a playpen also until we are able to get a bed for her when me and daddy want to be in bed alone and shes out we take a pillow with our scent on it and lay her on it... I don't worry about sids anymore but I do watch her once she's knocked out we take it out..
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Have you tried some ambient noise in the room? Like leaving a fan running or a noise machine? Sometimes (especially with co-sleeping) they get used to extra noise at sleepy times. Plus, putting a thicker blanket under the fitted sheet for more padding is a good idea. Usually by 16 months, SIDS risk is almost completely gone. I'm a CIO parent myself, and would recommend trying that if you think it could be for you. It is hard for about a week, but after that, smooth sailing. Mine was sleeping in his own crib at 7 months and all through the night by 15 months. Good luck sleepy mama!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009