Do you let your 2 year old watch Barney?

OM goodness, my 2 year old is getting into everything now-a-days!! He even took all the keys off my laptop when I was giving my 7 month old a bath. Anyway, to keep him from destroying my house today, while I pay bills, he has watched Barney about 6 times already. Does anyone else do this? I feel kinda bad, but I need to get our finances in order and he keeps pulling everything out, which is destroying my house! Any other ideas of what I can have him do?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 5:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does he have toys? He's gonna get into whatever is around him so put a bunch of toys around him.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My 16 month old likes Barney - I let her watch 15 mins each morning while I clean the livingroom around her - and she's happy with just that.

If I ever needed to sit down in the livingroom and do something really important, then I would stick it on for longer - but generally she can "help" me with everything I do - so I don't have an excuse to let her watch TV for more than 20 mins a day.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• That's true Lol, I had him a box full of toys but I took it outside because he was just spreading them out everywhere and then would have a fit when we would put them away. This was a few weeks back though. I should try pulling it out again, maybe now he is a little older and can understand more. I guess I am just trying to keep my house a little clean.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well, I do allow my daughter to watch some tv. I try not to use it to babysit her, but I know it is hard not to. My daughter is also 2.

She loves to look through big books. She actually has a phone book that we slide under the couch and she will pull it out and sit and look through it one page at a time. She does the same with magazines and catalogs. She will look at my book for my art history class too-it is like 900 pages.

She will color for a while but usually ends up trying to eat the crayons so I have to watch her pretty closely. Blocks are a great distraction for a while too. She has girly mega blocks and she will usually play with them long enough to let me get something done.

I unplug the keyboard and remove the batteries from the mouse and she will sit at the computer and watch my screensaver which is mostly pictures of her.

Just use your imagination. Try to find something that he gets absorbed in.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• As far as clean, my daughter tears my house up all day everyday. I just let the mess stay for a while and ignore it or I would be cleaning all day. Then I make sure it gets picked up just before my husband gets home.

I try to get her to clean, but she doesn't understand all that yet. When I pick things up, I will give her something to put away and when she does I praise her for it. She loves praise and so she continues to pick the things up and put them away. She may dump it right back out, but she is learning that I am proud when she picks things up.

It is going to take time to teach them at this age to pick up after themselves.

Naptime is an excellent time to get things done though.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I really do need to get a little more creative. It's just today that I am really trying to organize all our bills and set up a new system to pay them. It is taking me a little longer than what I expected but of course I keep having to stop... lets just say I have already given him 2 baths and had to mop my floor. That is not even counting the usual stuff, like breakfast, lunch, and my 7 month old. Lol, he even managed to break my lamp. I think that he is just going into another phase...now it's time for me to make some changes and adjust my routine.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Oh man, I feel you. Isis is ADDICTED to Barney. I have to force her to watch other shows or movies, but when it comes down to it Barney rules. She will bring you the DVD's she will hook up the DVD player if she has to, I mean I can't say that it doesn't help me out b/c I can get so much done while she is watching that DVD (over and over and over and over....), but she has learned to sing songs, and her speech is improving. I also can't complain that she is actually learning to "keep her sneeze to herself" and can say "please and thank you" without really being reminded.
    izzimommy203

Answer by izzimommy203 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Mine likes the show but hasn't fallen in love with it (thank goodness). Years ago, I worked at a PBS station and had to watch Barney myself. At that point, I swore I'd never let my child watch it. But really, it's filled with nice messages, is a very gentle show, and teaches kids sweet songs.

And yes, there's been a couple times I've let the TV keep mine out of my hair. Yesterday I was sick as anything and spent 2 hours laying on the couch too nauseous to move. TV to the rescue!  A steady diet is bad but an emergency day now and then is fine and helps keep mom sane.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Whatever you need to do to get some things done is ok....Barney will not warp his mind or anything and its not like hes plastered to the tv alllll day. Don't be so hard on yourself! We all need distractions for the kiddos at some point.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I hear ya my 2 year olod LOVES barney she went to the park with my husband came back and screamed until I turned it on. We watch barney all day I dont even know what else is on TV anymore. I think its a stage that they will get over. I hope.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 8:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009