I am going to have a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed. I would like to hear from woman that have had their ovaries left in and those that have taken them out. I have endometriosis and uterian fibrosis. I am 47 years old. Any help would be appreciated. Janet

When having a hysterectomy, is it better to take out your ovaries or keep them. I have read that after three years of a hysterectomy your ovaries start to shut down anyways. Please help me decide. Janet

janetjeske

Asked by janetjeske at 5:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• My mom had hers left in. From what her doctor said, it would be easier because they would have to put her on hormones otherwise and she didn't want to deal with that.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 6:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had a Hysterectomy at the age of 29 so they left my ovaries. This Fall I had to have major surgery & the OB-GYN removed my ovaries then. I had gone through Menopause & they weren't functioning. You are close to the age for Menopause so it might not matter, but my ovaries functioned until about 4-5 years ago. Have your Dr. run a blood test that will show if you are pre-menopausal or have begun Menopause. help you But do listen to your Dr. if she tells you that your problems will continue with your ovaries. Always ask lots of questions. Make sure you understand what & why they have chosen the full Hysterectomy. It’s your body & you have the right to have every question answered. This will be far from the end of your sex life and being a sexy Mama, just the end of pain. I wish you well with your surgery.
    prissmom

Answer by prissmom at 6:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I had a complete, and if I had to do it all over again, I would. If you have to have one anyway you may as well get it all removed, there are a lot of all naturals out there for IF you need them I take
    Black Cohosh Menopause Complex you can buy at Walmarts. My surgery was done years ago, I was on hormone meds, I got off myself and started taking cohosh. You will be surprised by how good you will feel, I also had endo, I just had no idea how bad I really was feeling until I recuped
    from the surgery, Like a new woman. Good Luck to you!!!!
    Anonymous