• In the Spotlight:

Feeding fruits and veggies to a 5 month old...

I feed my DS cereal 2-3 times a day... my milk itself just isn't satisfying him... With the cereal I mix about 1/4 to 1/2 a container of the fruit or veggie in it. He seems to be tolerating it very well but I'm concerned it may be too much? I heard that you don't go by how much they need in a day but how much they need in a week.. I have no idea how much that is..

Also, He hasn't had any bad reactions that I have noticed... but I'm not sure what to look for in a food allergy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breast milk or formula should be the primary source of food. As for solids, take your cues from baby. If he closes his mouth or turns his head away as you come close with the spoon then he is done...resist the urge to feed just one more bite. Remember the 4 day wait rule: introduce new foods one at a time, waiting 4 days in between to watch for a reaction. (i.e. Cereal for 4 days, then cereal and green bean for 4 days, then cereal green bean and sweet potato for 4 days and so on). ****Especially if you have allergies in your family. Food reactions usually occur within the first couple of hours but can occur up to 4 days later. Watch for redness, rash around the mouth...vomiting, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think you're doing fine. Offer the breast first and then the food. If he is finishing the food easily then he's fine. If not then limit the amount.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i agree with julipickle. you could also take supplements to increase your milk supply if you want. it helped with my girl.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• At this age food should not be substituting for breastmilk. If it is, it's usually a better idea to drop the food until the liquid intake goes back up.

The liquid intake (breastmilk or formula) shouldn't drop much until they start table foods....according to our pediatrician, anyway.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Nurse first, solids after, whatever he takes is dandy. As long as the nursing is first, there's no right or wrong. Remember that seeming satisfied is not in the infant job description. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 6:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You'll know a food reaction when you see it...because it will be a rash or throwing up.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I do nurse him first. My milk supply is good... 6-8oz and he rolls off the nipple and smiles and coos at me (like he always has when he's done) He is just hungry again 45 min later... :/
    Anonymous