When taking your child(ren's) friends out, do you pay?

Or ask the parents for money, or just expect them to give you some?

We took our daughter and her friend to bowling and a movie the other day.. I hadn't thought about it until the dad dropped him off when he offered my husband some money. My husband kindly just said "No thanks, we invited him to come with us.."

What's standard when it comes to this? Frankly, I would have taken the money.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 1:43 PM on Feb. 25, 2014 in Money & Work

• If we invite, we pay. If it is a group thing then every parent pays for their kid. If our kid is invited, we send money in case they don't pay. We don't expect them to pay, but some do and some don't.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:46 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• We invite, we pay, same as a birthday party.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:47 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• If we invite, we pay. If the kids agree to meet, parents are responsible for their own kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:52 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• If I invite the friend then I pay for them. However, if my middle schoolers are meeting their friends at the movies or restaurant, I don't pay (for their friend or them - they earn their spending money)

Answer by missanc at 1:56 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• if we invite, we pay...
    if the teens invited a friend though, they had to bring money
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:59 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• That is how I feel to. If we invite the friend, we pay. But if the parents and the kids are coming together. Like we all decided to go. The parents pay.

Answer by louise2 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• It would depend. Generally speaking, if I invite, I will pay. But if it's something where, say, I mention to someone else that I'm taking my kids to X and they ask if I would take their kids too or if they could meet us there or something, then I would expect them to pay for themselves/their kids. If someone else invites my kids, I generally assume they won't pay and send my kids with some money. If they do pay, great, but at least I don't have to worry about my kid feeling embarrassed if they don't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:01 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• If I invite someone to go with me somewhere, adult or child as my guest I pay for it.
    If we are talking and the kids or adults say gee it would be fun for us ( or the kids) to be able to XYZ together, then I figure it is a pay your own way kind of thing.

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:17 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• We pay if we invited them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Feb. 25, 2014

• I pay. If Im the adult in the group, I usually pay for anyone else... my kids' friends no matter what age, etc. My dad has always been that way, and I enjoy being able to do it.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 25, 2014