How do I make this not a habit

My 4 month old puppy has decided that she wants to go out side to go potty in the middle of the night. We crate her and I wake up with her let her outside and she goes right back in the crate with a doggie treat and I go back to bed. She just started wanting to go out a couple of nights ago. I don't have a problem waking up with her and letting her out but I do not want to wake up in the middle of the night with her when she is a dog. I know she is small and has a small bladder now. But I don't want to wake up every morning at 3:30 for the rest of my life.

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 5:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pets

• she will probably grow out of it. It's good that she's at least letting you know that she's gotta go, rather than staying in a pee soaked bed. Maybe limit her water before bed. Otherwise you'll just have to wait until she outgrows it. Or if her cage is big enough put her bed in one half, and line the other half w/newspaper. But if you crate train her like that you run the risk of her going to her crate instead of going outside.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 5:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Our puppy could hold it all night by the time she was four months old. I would say that if she's been holding it all night and this is something new, I wouldn't do it. Make sure you take her water and food up a few hours before she's going to be crated for the night. Take her out right before you go to bed and she should be fine. Btw, our girl sleeps in our room with us now (she's seven months old), but when we crate her we never give her a treat to go in her crate. We taught her "kennel up" and she runs right in. We only kennel her now when we leave the house. I don't even have to say kennel up anymore. She sees me with my shoes, purse and keys and runs and lays down in her kennel. She just started this and it's so cool!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Haha...dogs go through phases, just like kids. I'd say give it a day or two and she'll get better. Mine did this off and on.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Pick up her water at dinner time. Just like potty training a child not to wet the bed, you don't want to fill her up on water.
    SnoWhiteImages

Answer by SnoWhiteImages at 5:14 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• my weim was 1 year before he finally stopped his 3am potty times! even without water after a certain time, he would still wake up.....
    racingirl

Answer by racingirl at 10:09 AM on Feb. 27, 2009