• In the Spotlight:

Feeding an 11 month old, almost 1!

I need some advice on this one! I have been sticking to the same schedule for a long time now and I thought it was working. My son gets cereal with a little fruit in the a.m, then two 4oz. jars of veggies in the afternoon, and more cereal with fruit in the evening for bed. With each of these meals he gets a bottle made of 2oz. whole milk and 4 oz. formula. He has been getting VERY runny diapers, to the point where they are just EVERYWHERE! Is this maybe a reaction to the introduction to the whole milk or am I feeding him too much? I didn't think I was feeding him too much because he has always had a clear reaction when he was done.

DAjZeZnLE

Asked by DAjZeZnLE at 5:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be the whole milk. also he is probably old enough to start getting some solid foods (like bananas, steamed veggies etc)
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• cow's milk can cause diarrhea in some people. that is why it is advised to wait til babies are one year before introducing it. hold off on the milk for at least a week and see if there is an improvement in his stools.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• the milk is probably it. My DR advised us to start with more finger foods at our 9 mos appt. That might help too.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It could be the milk...my opinion, though...he's not getting enough nutrition to be on milk yet. This is based on what our pediatrician says....once they are on table foods and getting ALL of their nutrition from food it's okay to switch them to milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• .I would try adding some proteins and cheese and whole grains. He probably doesn't need anymore fruits or veggies,. but he should be on more of a solid diet if he is getting milk. I would try to avoid the baby food jars and try more for the toddler style foods if you can.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2009