Can I lose weight with just one type of cardio?

I do toning regularly (Pilates, free weights) but haven't started cardio up again since I had my 2nd child 8 weeks ago.

My question is...am I going to be able to shed weight with toning + just one type of cardio? The ONLY cardio I have access to right now (thanks to bad weather and being unable to afford a membership) is our stationary bike. I plan to switch it up and do some interval training with heavy pedaling followed by slower periods, etc but is that going to be enough?

Man I wish we didn't live in a dark, wet, freezing cold area right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Whoops, that was supposed to say "without being able to afford a GYM membership"
    Anonymous

• cardio isn't for weight loss it's for cardio. The weights and bands should build up muscle mass so they can burn up your fat. Cardio is certainly good for fitness so I'm not telling you to stop but don't kill yourself doing cardio thinking it is going to shed your pounds when simple things will do much better.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I've lost weight doing nothing BUT cardio. I think you can lose weight, but your body probably wont get toned at all...
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Interval training is great. Also throw in some weights. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories your body burns.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 6:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I know cardio isn't just for weight loss, but I've always needed the combination of it and muscle toning to burn significant fat. I guess I'm just concerned because at the gym I used to switch up my cardio a lot.
    Anonymous

• This is from: http://www.ehow.com/how_2342110_lose-weight-just-exercising.html
    "Lift weights to build muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn when you're in a resting state. Your metabolism increases as your muscle mass increases, so lift at least three days a week.
    ...Do cardio exercise at least 5 days a week. Swimming, jogging and stair stepping are excellent cardio exercises that help you lose weight. Working out in intervals is a great way to accelerate your weight loss efforts. Interval training means you push yourself at an intense level for a minute and then slow down to catch your breath for a minute. Repeat for the duration of your work out.
    "
    To answer your question, yes, you can get good cardio exercise from your bike, you don't need more than one kind of cardio exercise, except so you don't get bored.

Answer by Bmat at 6:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thank you everyone!
    Anonymous

• the second answer is wrong. Yes, you can lose weight with cardio, I'm doing it now WITH weight training, but before I was just doing cardio. I've just started the weights.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• The only exercise equipment I have are hand weights for strength training. For cardio, I use dancing workout DVD's in my living room. I have fun, I sweat, and I'm losing weight.
    You can go to your local library and check out DVD's to help you find routines you might like.
    My favorite is Cardioke with Billy Blanks Jr. I ordered it from exercisetv.tv - they have a mini clip there.
    My friends have all seen my Cardioke DVD and they all said - it looks like fun - it looks easy- where did you get your DVD.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The only thing I would recommend is when you can, switch up your cardio. After you do the same thing for a long time, your body becomes used to it and becomes more efficient at doing the movement so you burn less calories doing it.

There are some dvds that are out that you can get in Target and Walmart - Walk Away the Pounts is something you can do in the house - it consists of 4 basic moves, walking in place, front knee lifts, front kicks and side steps. She has all different types of workouts. There are also lots of different ones, Tae Bo, Turbo Jam, Step, Slim in 6, just to name a few - you can preview a lot of these workouts on Collage Video to see what interests you.

Anyway - I guess what I'm saying is - do your weights and your cardio - but make sure you switch up your cardio type.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 8:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2009