Is $20/wk a reasonable price to pick up a child in the morning & drop off in the after noon?

I was asked to pick up & drop off a little one to school in the morning when I drop off mine. It's not that far out of the way. It's an extra 5 or so minutes when their ready on time or about half a mile in addition to my regular route. The mom offered to pay $20/wk since she's looking for work. Is that reasonable or not? Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 26, 2014 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have a problem with them not being ready on time and, to be honest ii wouldn't want to be obligated to drop them off or pick them up, what happens if your kids are sick and you're not going...what happens if at the last minute you make an appointment and taking them home is inconvenient? I don't know that I'd want to be that tied down for $20 a week.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:56 AM on Feb. 28, 2014

• Since it isn't out of your way much I would say it is reasonable. Especially if she has the child ready on time.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• How not ready is she? Two minutes? Five or more minutes?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:29 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• I would say yes BUT if she is late X number of times you will cancel the agreement and not take her. You also have to have some provision if you are not going to or from school on a given day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:46 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• Sure is.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:15 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• I'd tell her it is fine on the condition that the girl is ready and waiting when you get there... I'd make sure she knew if you have to wait more than once, you will not do it any longer.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• Honestly, I'd feel weird about taking any money. I'd probably just do it. But waiting would annoy me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:51 AM on Feb. 27, 2014

• "She'll call & ask for a ride in the morning & I'll tell her that I'll call when I'm on my way, and will still have to wait for them sometimes."

That would annoy me as they know when(at least roughly) you are going to be there and should be able to have the child ready for you. That would cause me to say no.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2014

• It's a reasonable rate. I would make it clear that the child needs to be completely ready when you arrive. Let her know you will not under any circumstance wait.
    abecee

Answer by abecee at 8:24 AM on Feb. 27, 2014

• @tntmom1027 She's not going to be there her work-from-home mother is. So grandmom will be there when I pick up & drop off. Sometime now when I pick them up they're not ready. She'll call & ask for a ride in the morning & I'll tell her that I'll call when I'm on my way, and will still have to wait for them sometimes.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Feb. 26, 2014