How can I get my dog to stop chasing my cats around the yard?

I have had my 2 cats for 12 yrs. My s/o reacently brought home a dog ,(well he's only about 7 months old but he' pretty big.) My cats have always roamed freely around my yard. Well now he thinks he owns the place and is always chasing and cornering them! They scratch his nose if he gets to close. It seems like he thinks he's playing with them , but they sure as heck don't think so!

flowerchid72

Asked by flowerchid72 at 5:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Dogs have a very strong prey drive. This dog thinks he owns the place and he's also being an alpha. You are going to need to spend some serious time with him on leash and lwt him know his place. He has to understand that the cats are not toys and you are the alpha and don't approve of him chasing them. THat means a sharp noise and attention getter to let him know you are unhappy when he moves towards them. Then get a toy he loves and distract him with it. Over time, he will be able to let the cats wander right by him without molesting them. Keep in mind he may test his place in your "pack" periodically, and will need tune up training throughout his life.
    MsChevious

Answer by MsChevious at 10:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure there is much you can do to get him to stop...aside from training it out of him over time. There is something your cats can do in the short term...and you should let them. If they scratch him enough, he'll get the message.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• You need to keep a good eye on the puppy (7 mos is still a pup) - as the pp said some dog breeds have a very high prey drive - and make sure he's really just playing with your cats or if he's trying to 'eat' them; lol.

I have two 50lb dogs and two 11lb cats; the dogs will chase the cats (only if they're running first) but they have only ever pushed them with their nose; I watched them very closely together at first and luckily neither dog ever tried to 'mouth' the cats...

As long as the pup isn't trying to eat them; they will all learn their places and how to get along

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009