What is a good way in disciplining and handling a child w/ ADHD?

Just last year in Oct. my 5 year old son was diagnosd as having ADHD & he has been taking medication ever since. But even w/the medication he sitll has "relaspes" & when he does they can be quite stressful on me & my husband but I do feel more so stressful on me because I'm a stay-at-home mom. I would appreciate any advice from any of the mothers out there that are going through w/ what I've been going through w/ for quite some time.

Magnolia96

Asked by Magnolia96 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• first- I highly suggest you eliminate artificial colors and flavors. A good amount of sleep is helpful and my ADHD son has sleep problems soo I give him Meletonin before bed.

Have everything listed/scheduled/organized so he can look at the list and see exactly what is expected and what to do. My youngest needed picture lists for a very long time as he also has a few sensory disorders.

Teach him how to lay his clothes out before bed and make it very easy for him to put things away by having lots of compartments/labeled holders.

and have a few timers. Timers are great for chores and schoolwork and TV time. It makes the Timer the bad guy not the moom for saying "Time's Up!"

--Kimberly Homeschool mom to 3 boys
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I encourage you to read the book "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv.

He brings up interesting facts about kids with ADHD, obesity and other disorders and is attributing them to a lack of time spent in nature. What he calls 'nature-deficit disorder' - not a recognized syndrome, but it probably should be.
    No, it's not some commune-throwback. He cites studies done worldwide. We've noticed our DD is calmer and more focused after our family outings to the local Nature Centers. Gonna work on improving our backyard this spring.
    Even her child psychologist has heard of these findings when we talked at a recent visit.
    patobello

Answer by patobello at 11:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• but my kids are homeschooled and have always spend LOTS of time outside, in the woods, at partks, and playing.... and they have beed DXed with severe ADD. ADHD, Sensory Disorders and oother things.

BUT I do notice how much worse they are after a week of rain and being inside!
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:57 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• daily rewrds and consequences. longer term rewards for on going good behavior. taking away privilages.
    doc suggested to me the book 1-2-3 magic.
    good luck, i feel your pain.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 22, 2009