Has anyone's child ages 1-2 had to get tubes in their ears?

My daughter got her 3rd ear infection in a year about 2 weeks ago. The doctor told me that if she was to get another ear infection that she was going to have to go to the Ear Nose And Throat specialist about putting tubes in her ears. I honestly don't know anything about the surgery or how long she would be. I just know I'm very nervous b/c she always seems to get an ear infection when she gets sick. Here it is just two weeks since the last infection cleared, and she is getting sick again. So I'm pretty worried.

izzimommy203

Asked by izzimommy203 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As for the surgery aspect, I DEMANDED that I be in the room when she went under anesthesia because I could only imagine how frightening that would be to have the mask on her face with only complete strangers. They didn't want to let me, but I told her if I wasn't there she wasn't having the surgery and we were leaving, so they let me in the OR. Once she was under I left the OR and waited in the waiting room. The procedure took about 20 minutes.

The anesthesia frightened me the most, but she was fine. She cried a lot when she woke up. They said I could feed her juice or a snack, but instead I chose to breastfeed her, which was much more comforting to her. (If you're still BFing I recommend this over juice, of course!) :-)

Within 10-15 minutes we were fine to leave and go home. By the time we drove home she was back to her normal self! We had to put in ear drops twice a day for five days afterwards and that was it.
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my son didnt have to get it done but my best friends little girl did. it was an out patient procedure and she was fine. sorry but thats all i really know about it. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My youngest daughter had tubes put in shortly before she turned 2 years old.

I don't necessarily agree with the "4 ear infections in a year" rule, and if that were the only thing she had I wouldn't have gone through with the surgery. We went to the ENT (by accident, for a totally separate issue having nothing to do with ear infections) and she had a hearing test. The test showed she was suffering from hearing loss!

Her eustacian tubes were inverted so much (as is natural at that age) that the fluid (i.e. wax) could not drain out of her ear. The fluid just kept building up so much behind her ear drum she couldn't hear. That is what ultimately made us get the tubes. Now she hears just fine, but her speech is a little impaired and coming along slower than others her age because she's having to relearn all her sounds.

She used to hear sounds as if she were listening under water so you can imagine what this did to her speech!
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• My daughter is going thru the test to get the tubes inserted now. my daughter has had like 4 or 5 ear infections in 6 mths n her fevers have reached 102. but just like you im very nervous about it. What i have done to learn more about it is go on www.webmd.com and they really explain the whole procedure it got pics n everything. good luck!!!
    xixi1

Answer by xixi1 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2009