my 4 month old has a semi flat spot/ and a bald spot...how to stop it from getting worse? (without helmet?)

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son did this. its from laying on their backs. its normal and will get better
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Make sure he/she gets out of her chair/swing, and make sure that he/she is able to just be on the tummy. My sil had this problem and her son ended up wearing a helmet to correct it..
    Anonymous

• For the flat spot it sounds funny, but it's all about rotation. When babies sleep their head go to one side, you need to gently move the babies head for right to left or vice versa, and babies will turn their faces to the "point of Interest" (the door or you're bed ect.) so ly him the other way with his head where his feet usual are, this will help in time. And the bald spot that's normal, don't worry it's baby hair it WILL grow back.
    CadensMama117

Answer by CadensMama117 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• This happened with my son too. He loved to fall asleep looking at me, and the right side of his head was flatter. So I alternated sides when he went to sleep (I moved from one side of the bed to the other). Also alternated the toys that attached to his crib, put his mirror (for example, that baby mirror crib toy thingy) on a different side every day. And when he was awake I tried to make sure he had tummy time. His head eventually rounded out without the use of a helmet. But he's almost 5 now, and I can still tell where his head is just a wee bit flatter in one spot on the right/back of his head. Luckily, he has always had lots of hair! LOL.
    Goodluck.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• A lot of pediatricians say they see this more often now because of the whole 'back to sleep' thing.

I'm not sure of what you can do though, because both my DD's were tummy sleepers.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• it will go away when they start getting on their tummys my son has just gotten over his lol, but it wont be like that for long
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Keep him out of swings and chairs and carseats (when not driving of coarse) as often as possible. Do lots of tummy time. Turn his head different directions when he sleeps. Hold him lots.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2009