When to tell your tween son sex ed?

This might be silly, but I want to know when you as parent talk and tell your tween son - 12 yo about how man and woman make love. I don't know exactly if my son had already knew "how it works "- I mean that part of man being inserted to woman or not, but I want to make sure that I give him what I supposed to tell him. I'm sure he will soon know about that from friends or other source. Do you think 12 yo too early to tell? My son still feeling comfortable being naked after shower in front of us, so you get the idea how he is.. he is the only child.

What do you think? Thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• To be honest, in this day and age, I don't think that is too young to have the talk. You want him to be informed and educated about it. There are so many cases of young kids becoming parents. I am not knocking those people, but it is a situation that is best avoided so the child still has a childhood before they are parents. Not to mention the other consequences. I believe education is our best tool. And if you open up the lines of communication on that subject it may make it easier for him to come to you with questions he probably has about it. I would rather my children learn it from me than on the streets.
    Anonymous

• i found out about sex when i was in the 3rd grade- i know really young to learn but i rode the bus and the older kids told me about it. then i would go home and ask questions and had to be told everything. i became sexually active at the age of 12. im 21 now and have a 2 year old.
    my point is-it seems like they are getting younger and younger. i would start the conversation and see how much he actually knows and then you decide how much he needs to know right now. make him aware of the facts of STDS and pregnacy and ways to prevent all of these things. good luck momma.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Chances are he knows were to put it, but he does not know the truth about STD'S, condoms, that a girl can get pregnant the first time, at that even if a girl is on bith control he still needs to be protected and why, I started talking tp my DD around 10 and as she got older the more info I gave. The truth is always a good place to start, kids at school say so much that is not true and if parents are not educatiing there children, the kids believe what is being said. Tell him what sex is and what it should be, teach him how to respect a girl and if she says no etc...Start slow, ask him what he knows about sex and go from there, be honest.. The more willing you are to talk to him the more he will come to you if he has questions.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Get that talk going and don't ever stop, open the lines of communication so he feels comfortable with the subject. Make it short and sweet for now. Say, Mom has a Vagina and dad has a Penis, the man inserts the P into the V ejaculates and thats how babies are made, Got any questions?
    He'll run like hell but its start LMAO. My son is 13 daughter 18 btw. We are all very open about our sexuality and my kids ask me crazy questions, i keep it short and sweet so it doesn't sound like i am lecturing them everytime! Have fun!!
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 6:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Kids have alot of myths about safe sex, bust those myths, I learned the myths from my DD asking me questions about what she heard at school, she is in the 11th grade now and I am happy she comes to me, I also told her no one even me can tell her to have sex or not to have sex, that is her choice and only her choice to make, and when she is ready not pressured, to protect herself. Realisticly(sp) that is all I can ask for. I wish you luck mama.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son started sex ed in 5th grade. Very basic things. In 6th grade it got more detailed and he learned about how the female's body worked too. Not sure what they learned in 7th grade. I have always been open and honest with my son and answer whatever questions he has. If I don't know the answers I find someone who does or I find the answer. I don't think it is ever too early to talk to kids about sex. I leave most of the details up to health class as the sex ed part is taught by an RN and she does an awesome job, I fill in the blanks from there.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I left that up to my husband to talk to the boy and I talked to the girl. He did alright. He is 22 now and has had two serious girlfriends that he was sexually active with. He is single now and don't want another one. My daughter is married with 4 kids. She is 25.
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 10:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Wow, they still teach sex ed?!!! Here they dont, not the basics, detail, nothing, the other states I have heard about sex ed, dont say nothing but abstanance or how ever you spell it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:00 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I had the talk with my son at 10 yrs of age, and have had other talks since, its a continuing thing.. I want him to know we can be open about it and not be afraid to tell me his feelings etc.... It doesn't stop after the talk is over....
    Anonymous

• I told my 10 year old years ago. At 12, he probably already knows anyway.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009