When is it to much skin showing?

My daughter and I are in a disagreement and I'm asking for your opinion here. She recently posted a couple of pictures on Facebook of my granddaughter who is 2. The first one is of her in the bathtub with black marker all over her face and hands. Cute right? However if you look at the photo you can clearly see her chest and crotch in the photo.

The second photo again buck naked but sitting at a kids table. You can't see her crotch but you can see everything else.

I'm not saying these aren't cute photos for the family photo album but I do have a problem with them being posted on Facebook for the world to see. She has 375 friends and if you look at all her friends and their friends it multiplys quickly as to who could actually see the photos.

So you tell me was I wrong to call her on this? She's upset at me but did take them down.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 9:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2014 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with you. There are so many ways that others can get these photos and use them online for illicit purposes.. You hear all the time of people's photos being used without them even knowing. She could crop the photos beforehand to show the marker on the face, for example, before posting if she wanted. Better to be safe than sorry. And, you know, many photo processing places will no longer print pics of naked kids.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I agree.... I post pics of our boys for family to see, but we're usually outside sledding, or playing with our dogs, basketball games, etc.... Nothing as personal as bath time, those are meant for your real life photo albums....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:37 AM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I have some very cute pictures of my child that I won't post online. I have them for an album at home and I can print them at home. Some are because they aren't appropriate for other's viewing(like the pictures you stated) and some because I fear I would have CPS calling at my door...like the picture I took when I was going around cleaning and found my Then toddler had crawled into the rabbit cage lol It's funny because I know he did it on his own and he thought it was hilarious but to others who didn't know the situation is wouldn't look funny.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I agree with you that is why I don't post pictures of my kids online anymore.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I agree that they're cute for a family photo album, but I wouldn't put them up on facebook. If for some reason, I did want to put pics like that up on facebook, I'd at least put some kind of little image over the pertinent parts - you know, like they put the black box or the blurred pixels when someone shows too much on TV? I'd maybe find a cute little image like a smiley face or something. But even then, I'd have to think hard about putting it online.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:13 AM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I agree with you too many wackos in this world that would use these heaven knows what for....

Answer by older at 12:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• My rule of thumb is any picture that lets you determine the sex of a young child (not by clothing but by body parts) should never be on social media. So a pic that shows chubby arms, tummy, or cute leg rolls is ok but any more than that is a no no
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• I do post pics of my daughter in the tub, and you can see her chest but nothing else (same with my son). If they show more I do not put them on FB, I might just send them to my husband or my parents. In my opinion showing a chest on a 2 year old girl isn't a big deal (there is nothing there, it's the same as a 2 year old boy's chest). Butts and other things are much different though. I just took a pic of my son brushing his teeth with his butt showing (his towel fell and he was trying to hold it). I thought it was cute, but only sent it to my husband.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 5:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• Well, the pedophiles will be thrilled. I can't imagine a mom doing that to her child.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 7:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2014

• Thanks for all your support in this. It means a lot to know I'm not alone in thinking this was wrong. I mean we tell our kids/grandkids no one is allowed to touch in area's covered by a swim suit but then proceed to show people those same area's uncovered. Not sure I understand this at all.
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2014