deli meat; which is safest

grocery deli, organic, or packaged- and how do you store either, what keeps longest. I'm getting back into having these convenience meats especially salami genoa, unless someone tells me otherwise. I used to like bologna but now never buy it. Want to develop good food purchase/storage skills for my child.

babygirl821

Asked by babygirl821 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• if you buy prepackaged meat it is going to be REALLY high in sodium...especially salami and bologna. Find something that is fresh and doesnt have sodium added to it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 7:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Go deli, and keep it in a ziploc baggie. Simple and cheap!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I get the double pack of butterball turkey at costco.. keep one in the fridge and one in the freezer.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I buy Boarshead from the deli counter. I only buy the 'heart healthy' ones. They keep about a week in the bag they give you...
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 10:31 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• safest from contamination would be pre packaged. It will also last the longest (5 days) after opening. delis don't neccessarily clean the slicer really good very often.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• The prepackaged meats are horrible for your health. They are very high in sodium and other junk. My doctor told me to stay away from any of them. I buy the deli meats from the deli and go for the low sodium meats. I stay away from Boarshead because I don't like the way the meats taste.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• yuck, I hate organic.. if people saw the difference between the two.. you wouldn't be eatting organic things made in factories.

I always get deli.. it's healthier.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2009