formula and playtex drop ins questions

Just wondering....how long is formula really good for once made?? i know it says 2 hours, but does anyone let it sit for longer. and what is the reason that it has to be drank within 1 hour of starting the feeding??
another question...does anyone use the playtex drop ins?? i just got some and was wondering the best way to warm up a bottle?? and any other tips for using them...
thanks

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 7:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use dropins with mr breastmilk. I get a glass of hot water and set the bottle with dropin inside of it for about a minute...
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Formula is filled with yummy, tasty, nutritious stuff that germs just LOVE. If you let it sit out, it will go bad. Will it go bad within 2 hours? I don't know.
    Why do you have to use a bottle within an hour of the first sip? Baby's mouth is filled with those germs that love formula. When a baby drinks from a bottle, there is a little bit of "backwash" and some of what's in his mouth (formula, spit, germs, etc) washes back into the bottle with each sip. Once there, those germs set up shop and start reproducing. Will the formula go bad within an hour? I don't know.
    I just microwaved the bottle (without the nipple top) for about 15 seconds and then shook it pretty well to mix any hot-spots back into the colder spots.
    I found that the drop-ins washed up just fine with a regular bottle brush. I replaced them about once a week or when I was in too much of a hurry to wash one. The Target brand drop-ins are pretty nice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• * with my breastmilk...lol
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 7:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Formula can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for 24 hours. Sitting out, 2 hours and once started feeding, one hour.

I used the drop ins and a large 4 cup measuring cup (glass) with 2 cups of water, put in the microwave for 2 minutes...put the bottle in the water, go change a diaper and by the time you're done the bottle is ready.

That's with 8oz in the bottle, out of the fridge, though...

Making them ahead of time actually helps cut down on gas, too!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• a test for drop in's! Measure 4 oz water or breastmilk in a standard bottle and then pour it into the drop in. It mismeasured for me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• If you're making powdered formula, just microwave a glass of hot water to the desired temperature, poor into the drop in until desired measurement and add powder. (Shake well to avoid hot spots) If you're heating breast milk or liquid formula, you could always keep a crockpot (small if you have it) plugged in with warm water in it. Drop your bottles into it to warm throughout the day. (I don't do this...because I'm liable to forget to refill the water or leave it one when I leave the house but I know other mothers who swear by it).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Every food left at room temp starts to grow bacteria within tow hours. Its a food safety guideline. The one hour expiration is from the time your baby starts to feed from it. The bacteria from her mouth gets into the bottle and multiplies.

You can premix however and leave in the fridge up to 24 hours. Reheating one time, and discarding after.
    frizzed

Answer by frizzed at 9:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i will only use drop-ins, they help with colic and sids. put them in warm/hot water that way the water surrounds the drop in inside the bottle (make sure the milk dont get too hotof course) or put the milk in a regular bottle to warm up then put it in the drop-in
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I use a vase, fill it with warm/ hot tap water and put the bottle in. And if I need the bottle quick I let the water keep flowing into the vase with the bottle. Always works well for me, since you are not supposed to microwave them and the 8-10 oz drop in bottles do not fit into any cups I own
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2009