What am I or my husband doing wrong?

I have one child who just turned two in Dec. and the little boy I used to babysit who is the same age came over to visit today. His mom left him for a few hours so she could run an errond and the next thing I know this little boy is coming towards me for some attention and my son jumps right in the middle of us and wont let him pass to get to me. Keep in mind my son is not really talking that much but communicates in other ways. Well then I hear the other little boy crying so I hid around the corner to see what was going on and my son was jumping on him. I also caught him a couple of times just shove him one time and the little boy fell on the ground. Now this is my only child and I love him dearly and Im not just saying this but my son might not sound too nice when hes around other children but hes the sweetest baby I have ever know. He kisses me and my husband all the time and hugs us and has just a really good heart.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know that he gets jelouse but does he act out like that because my husband and I spank him on his leg with our hand when hes bad? Im scared that this is why hes being violent. I try my best to be a good mom but we do spank him just once when hes missbehaving but only when he gets out of hand. Please help if any of you mothers have any advice, I dont want my son being the bully at school.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• you arent doing anything wrong. my little boy is the same way and also doesnt speak much. by the way he is 2 also. he does not like for me or my husband to hold another child or else he will cry. i live on a military base and used to babysit for our neighbors before they moved. he would be so mean to the little boy i babysat. i was told its a stage and he will work his way through it. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• its the age mixed with being an only child. my son will be two in april and is the same way with me. he doesnt want any other kid even looking at me. he's in daycare now which has helped. can you put him in a play group so he can have more interaction with other kids? that way you could still be there with him. Or maybe daycare once a twice a week? Some churches also do a mothers day out program that is two or three hours twice a week. We've also started going to kindermusik classes together, but i dont know if anything like that is offered in your area.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 7:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well I think Im about to start babysitting again and I will probably take in two children so that might help cause when he got used to the little boy that I was babysitting he was ok but its been a while since we have seen them so it was really hard for him to share me and his toys today. Im a stay at home if you guys havent figured it out yet :) I think that might make it a little harder since hes with me 24/7.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my dd is the same way with anyone too if dada wants to hug me or kiss me she tries to push him away like thats my mami...lol i think its cute but I also tell her I love her too and we both kiss her up!!
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Its just normal childhood behavior. My boys are very close (ages 2 and 1) and they love each other very much.But, out of no where the older one will just shove the little one; even if they were laughing and hugging seconds before! Its just a phase and an oppurtunity to start learning about others feelings and appropriate playtime behavior.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• To me I don't think you're doing anything "wrong" It sound like he's just jellouse which means he loves you and you're treating him well. Maybe he just needs more time to play with other kids. Have him hang out with kids who are maybe a little bit older. They'll be a little bigger and he won't be a likely to try and push them around. They will also be talking better and give him someone to learn from.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It's normal and it's not you guys. Just be very careful with him around other kids and especially if you have another. Siblings can actually kill each other inadvertently. That's obviously extreme but it's the age.
    Anonymous

• You aren't doing anything wrong ...he's at that age. However you can't let him get away with it or else it will continue. He needs to know that that behavior is not okay and that there will be consequences.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You're not doing anything wrong! Your son is just jealous - he's never had to share you with another child. His behavior is perfectly normal. It's just your job to tell him you still love him and that he's your special little baby, or whatever pet names you have for him. He probably won't understand, but over time he will learn that he's not losing your love to some other child. :-)
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2009