any advice?

I have a 5 1/2 month old. N just yesterday he started to automatically cry when I would set him down so i could do something. N he even cryes when im in the same room or when im RIGHT next to him! Hes not acting like anything hurts or hes sick. My mom thinks that hes just doing it cuz he wants to be held n just knows that when he cries you'll be there to pick him up! But ive been kidda (sometimes ill let him cry for a bit) since he was born! N hes just NOW figured that out? I dunno..any advice here?

kylie_2008

Asked by kylie_2008 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get a sling.

He wants to be close to you, you want your hands free - win win.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think hes a little to old n big for a sling! hes 26in long n 13 or bigger lbs!
    kylie_2008

Answer by kylie_2008 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You gotta be kidding me - he's a tiny tot!

He is FAR from too big for a sling!
    Many many many women all over the world wear their babies in slings until they reach childhood! - Just search for a 'babywearing' group here on Cafemom and you'll find a whole bunch.

My daughter is 16 months old, and 26lbs, and she has been slinged every day of her life - and will continue on. No problem.

At 5 months and 13lbs - he's a teeny tiny baby, he most certainly is not too big for a sling!
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Mine did this around that age too. It is just a phase and it will pass. They haven't mastered object permanence yet. They don't understand that things/people still exist, even though they can't see them. Start playing peekaboo type games and hide the toy (like under a blanket). He might be a little young to fully grasp the concept but he'll get it soon. Also, when you put him down and walk away...do it with confidence. If you're not concerned about it, he might get the hint that he shouldn't be either.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Ditto the sling. And he is no hwere near too big for a sling, 13 pounds is tiny for a 5 month old!!

www.thebabywearer.com is a great site, you can learn about all types of slings.

The maya wrap is my all time favorite www.mayawrap.com, you can buy a used one for a fraction of the cost at www.diaperswappers.com.

good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i love my moby wrap, you can wear baby a few different ways-forward facing, on the hip, inward on chest, on your back, & you can breastfeed baby in them! dd is 18 lbs 29 inches long, at 5 months she was 27 inches & almost 16 lbs, so your guy will definitely fit-& for a while. it's great, baby gets the comfort & security he desires & while providing that you have your hands free to do things. your lo is too young to be taking advantage of you, some babies just need to be held more that others. by holding him, you're NOT spoiling him! there is a lot going on right now for him & he wants his momma for comfort & reassurance. there's nothing wrong with providing that for him. i got my wrap on ebay for $40 & free shipping. good luck!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• if he is holding his head up fine and sitting up on his own, you can start trying walkers or bouncers. I know my daughter loved them, because she could watch mama do what she had to, and she had toys a plenty.. you may have to let them cry it out a time or two, but after they realize they have new things, they normally get a kick out of it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I never used a sling. I tried one day to use a sling type thing (i didn't have a sling and could just go buy one so i used what i had), but that didn't make her happy either. So, what I did was put her in her saucer or bouncer (depending on how big she was...she is too big for the bouncer now and loves standing - so i live by the saucer). I started singing to her and talking to her while i did other things. I would be sitting there doing the dishes singing different songs to try to calm her down (half of the songs were christmas songs and it was no where close to christmas...ha ha). Hope that helps in case you don't want to have her attached to your hip. I think her daddy would have killed me i had her attached to me all the time. everyone already thinks i spoil her.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my son is 5 months and is the SAME way. he never cried until just recently. and its when he is tired, ect. he loves he swing. you may try that. they are geting to the age where they understand and like attention. i put him in his swing and turn it on and like him watch tv or look outside he loves the lights and colors!
    chevymom421

Answer by chevymom421 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Shoot, I still wear my 2.5 year old son in a sling...

GET A SLING OR WRAP!! It's life saver. I would never get any houeswork done if it weren't for my sling! My 4mth old daughter is the same way!
    Anonymous