How long can you safely labor after your water breaks

How long can you safe labor after your water breaks and still deliver the baby safely

Zella75

Asked by Zella75 at 7:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That depends on who you ask. The hospital will not let you go over 24 hours. My friend who is a midwife said that they have had mothers go three days with their water broke. They don't do internal exams ( so they don't cause an infection) and keep a close eye on the heartrate. If anything happens they go to the hospital, but they will let you go MUCH longer than a hospital will.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• MOST women deliver 36-48 hours after their water breaks. Hospitals are too invasive to allow anything beyond 24 hours. God knows the nurses and OB can't keep their hands out of someone's vagina. The key is to monitor the body temp, fetal heart rate, etc. to see if an infection starts etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Days as long as you limit vaginal exams and other things in the vagina. Hospitals generally give you 24 hours but since they also keep their hands in your vagina doing vaginal exams they introduce infections.

I should have read celtic's reply before typing, lol. I agree.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• As long as you do not allow anything to be introduced into the vagina (that includes a cervical exam) there is no time limit. My water broke 3 times with my first. The baby makes new fluid all the time. Anything introduced into the vagina causes infection risk. Then they normally limit you to 24 hours
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Why did mom rupture?
    Because she already had an infection? Fever? Was there staining or odor? Is it a high or low leak or just through one layer? Has she had vaginal exams? Is baby premature or term & engaged or breech?

Many things do vary here. But PROM happens and can be no big deal for many women.
    Some women go for several weeks.
    I went 8 days with a low rupture (full gusher).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I was told at the hospital it is 24 hours, as mentioned before.

I never even made it close to that, though....7 1/2 hours, 2 1/2 hours and 26 minutes.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• The hospital where I had my daughter (in Boston) wouldn't let you go over 18 hours.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• 24 hours.

When my water broke with my DD, they started talking C-section around 2:00 AM (because my water broke at 10:00 the previous morning, and I'd only dialated to 4 cm). I never made it past 4 cm, and I ended up needing an emergency C-section because I started showing signs of infection.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure.. most of the ladies above have good answers.. I had my daughter 5 hours after my water broke.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• As long as you do not start running a fever, there is no meconium, and the baby's heart rate is fine, you can go a week after your water has broken. I personally know a couple who went almost 2 weeks and they have a bouncing baby girl :)

In most cases thigh, labor starts within 24 hours after your water breaks and it is "ideal" to have them out within 48-72 hours.
    Anonymous