Fundraising and money making tips for a 12 year old....

My 12 year old came home today so excited. She and some classmates have been chosen to take a trip for 8 days to London, Paris, and Rome to study in June 2010. This is part of the Foreign Studies Program. We have to pay for the trip. I won't let her go without me even if she will be 14 in June of 2010. She came home and already started picking up cans on the road that we live on. She is very determined. I told her we would have to earn the money somehow. She said mom, if we could get everyone to donate $1.00 in our community, then we could go. That is easier said than done. So with that being said, does anyone have any tips on raising money. Thanks from me and my girl!

aerocrombiester

Asked by aerocrombiester at 7:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• hold a bake sale. just go to walmart buy some cookie mix and brownie mix and have a bake sale. it would be fun and easy.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 8:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Are there neighbors she could do little jobs for? Dog walking? Pulling weeds in the garden?
    Maybe ask the neighbors if she could have their returnable cans.
    Or if there are little ones in the neighborhood, do the moms need someone to watch them in the backyard so the mom can get some work done in the house? Kinda like a mother's helper on a smaller scale.
    Hey, I gotta remember these ideas when the time comes for MY kid to need money for something as she gets older. Thanks for getting me thinkin'!

patobello

Answer by patobello at 11:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Several years ago a 12 year old came to my door selling cards. I asked what charity/program it was for. I was very annoyed when he said it was just for him. I told him I wouldn't just give him money, had he asked if he could rake or mow, etc I would have been glad to help. A lot of people are put out if kids just ask for money for themselves from the community. She has plenty of time to work for the money she needs. Most people would be happy to give her jobs knowing she was chosen for such an opportunity. People tend to be more generous if she is trying to earn money herself. My niece had to earn her way to France, she helped me with many things and I paid her twice as much as the jobs were worth. It had nothing to do with the fact that she was my niece, I would have done the same thing for anyone who was trying to earn the money as opposed to asking for handouts.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 5:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• When our DD wanted to join the Black Belt Club, she was told she would have to come up with the $220 herself. She collected cans from family, friends and neighbors. We posted to a local freecycle group on yahoo asking for unwanted cans and she went to several businesses in town (mechanics shops, a lawyer we knew, etc...) asking for their cans. Cashing in cans when you have to go to several different stores because of exclusive brands can be a lot of work and time consuming. While some thought their cans could go to someone more in need, many applauded our DD for her willingness to pay for something herself. She also did small jobs around the neighborhood and for family. She was allowed to put a handwritten note in our family Christmas letter asking for their help, but with a limit of $5 per household. When asked what she wanted for her birthday, she ask for help in paying for the club instead of gifts.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009