baby's size?

How big will the doctors let your baby get if you want to deliver vaginally. I dont think they will let you deliver a 12 pound baby the natural way but how big do doctors let the baby get before they will not let you deliver the natural way. It seems my baby girl is getting to be on the big side and I was curious. I go to the doctor tuesday and I will ask him about the ultrasound I had yesterday then. Thanks everyone.

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 7:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is no way to know if a baby is "too" big until it's on the outside.
    Lots of "huge" babies (11, 12, 13 pounds) are born vaginally.
    So there is no rule about a cut-off.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My aunt delivered an 11 lb. 9 oz. baby vaginally. That was back in the day though when C-sections weren't the hot tip though.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 8:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• if your dr thinks your pelvic area is big enough to birth a 12lb baby then yes they will let you try. my dr has told me that i probably couldnt give birth to a baby over 9lbs because i have a very narrow pelvic that could make things hard. but now my friend who is the same size iam gave birth to a 10lb 3oz baby with no issues. my sister in law who is alot bigger then iam in hieght and other places was unable to give birth to her little boy who was 9lbs 11oz. Its all in your size and what your dr thinks.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I think this video is relevant.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My best friend gave birth to an almost 14 lb baby, and she is small. She told the doc to shove the c-section. Only needed 2 stitches.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I don't think there is a limit and they could be wrong about the weight even using an u/s
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Your baby's size doesn't have much to do with how you give birth. Some women are able to birth large babies with no problem.

Others (like me) have very narrow hip bones that don't spread enough to allow even a small 5 pound baby to pass.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Ooooh yes they will lol. They will let that baby get as big as it wants and still expect you to deliver vaginally. My friend had a baby that was 11lbs 9oz (vaginal delivery, no epidural). Mine was 9lbs 6oz. and I begged to be induced at 39 weeks because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to push him out. Lo and behold 5 days late, he came and I did it! I have heard of a few doctors on a rare occasion that induced early or scheduled a c-section due to a large baby or history of complications previously from large babies. Ask your doctor and see where he/she stands on the issue.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your answers. I know ultrasounds can be off but if you feel her, she is getting to be a big girl. They are thinking she might be close to 9.5 pounds when she come out.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• There isn't a limit. It is rare that any baby is "too" big for the mother to deliver vaginally.
    Anonymous