I have heard so many people say to lose weight change your eating and exercise that dont work for some people what eles is there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I am a believer that if you change your eating habits for life and build an excersise routine that works for you into that changed life, there's no way you could NOT lose weight.
    The problem is that a lot of people give up before they really get started...they get frustrated when, a month into it, they don't see any progress.

The reality is that your body has been holding onto that extra weight for awhile, so its not just going to fall off as soon as you start. Chances are, you'll put on a couple of pounds, but that couple of pounds is muscle, and that's GOOD. Lean muscle helps you burn calories and fat, and in turn, you lose weight.

Besides some kind of dramatic weight-loss surgery, there's not much else.

My advice would be to access your eating habits first, and change those, or at least make better choices. Then try adding some light excersise, like walking around your neighborhood, for about 30 min 3 x a week.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Surgery - but that has large risks, including death. And many people end up in the hosptial after they keep trying to eat the same amounts of food that they did before the surgery.

Eating good foods, not junk, not high fat foods, not high sugar foods, helps. Many people end up going on a diet and eating nothing but carrots (or whatever) for as long as they can stand it. Then they go right back to eating the junk they did before. Make one small change at a time. First, make certain your portions are right. Next week, start eating a decent breakfast. The next week, make certain your morning and afternoon snacks are healthy. Then tackle lunch. Then dinner. Then stick with that for the rest of your life.
    Same with exercise. Don't plan on jogging 2 miles everyday. That sets you up for failure. Start by sitting on an exercise ball every time you watch TV.

Small changes add up to a permanent change.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• (con't.)
    When I first started excersising, I weighed myself so that I knew what I weighed. I wrote down smaller, short-term goals like 'lose 10 pounds', instead of 'lose 50 pounds'.
    I cut back my portion sizes (eating on small plates helped LOTS), I drank un-Godly amounts of water (lol), and I didn't eat anything after 9:00 PM, unless it was a fruit or veggie.

I cut out fast and fried foods, and pretty much eliminated dairy. (Dairy is VERY fattening...in fact, most of dairy's content is fat). I didn't even weigh myself at the end of the month...but I noticed I slept better, my skin was clearing up, I had more energy, and my jeans were looser.
    Two weeks later I weighed myself to find out I'd GAINED 4 pounds, but it didn't matter, because weight is relative. I FELT and LOOKED better.

Now, I excersise 5-6 times a week for about an hour to an hour and half, and am a vegetarian. But I started out SMALL.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 8:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009