What should I be feeding my one year old?

We are down to BF'ing 3 times a day. What type of "adult" food should she be eating? I give her pureed foods three times day and she eats 2 tubs (or jars) per sitting. She gets snacks in-between meals: crackers, puffs, that type of thing.

weberbaby

Asked by weberbaby at 8:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At one she should be eating what ever you are, with some modification. You should graduate her to cooked pieces of food now. Cut up fruit and veggies into pieces for snacks. Get the book First Meals (the Expanded Edition) by Annabell Karmel. You can buy used books on Amazon for really cheap.
    Anonymous

• ditto what the PP said. there is no reason she cannot eat what you are eating. it might take her a bit of time to get used to it though if she hasn't been eating any "real" food yet.

our kids were all on table food by around 8 months, but we also start them early w/ cereal and baby food so they are used to the chewing.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my 15 month old loves these little entrees by gerber!They are a great meal for them with nutrition! It was hard at first because he resisted to a lot of things but now eats pretty much anything!
    chat84

Answer by chat84 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I would say they are ready for all table foods. I never gave my dd stage 3s or jarred toddler foods ,they smelled awful. I would feed her everything you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner ...obviously just cut up very small!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm in the camp that doesn't like to feed packaged/jarred foods, but to each his own. I fed all my children the same food we ate, just in much smaller portions, and mashed up or cut up really small, depending on how many teeth they had at the time. If you're serving table food, make sure you're not adding salt...let your child enjoy the natural taste of food.

There are only a few foods to avoid giving your child at this age: nut products, eggs, shellfish. Wait until she's 2 before trying out those foods on her.
    OrganicMermaid

Answer by OrganicMermaid at 8:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• my son is 15 months. For Dinner last night he had ham, potoatoes and carrots. (it was a soup, but i just strained out the liquid) . For breakfast this morning he has a sausage patty (cut up) and 1 egg w/ a cup of milk. For lunch he will either have a quesadilla, chicken nuggets, or chicken and noodles. w/ a cup of juice. And i don't know what we're having for dinner tonight. He has 10 teeth right now his front bottom and top, and 2 molers on his left side bottom and top.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 11:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• Feed him what you eat.. ex. for breakfast you are having pancakes.. cut up a pancake for your little one.. normally the size of your finger nail. (I hold the butter and syrup, though, lol). for lunch, make up some soup (hold off any sea foods for a little while, and peanut butter, until they are a little older, especially if their are allergies in the family). or cut up fruits are great at this age.. always be sure to cut up things like grapes, etc.. because they are too big and they can choke on them.. for dinner.. veggies are great..
    if he has enough teeth and is chewing fine, you can start giving him easy to chew, well cooked meats as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:31 PM on Feb. 21, 2009