Does anyone know?

my dd is 14 and going in to high school next year. she has had one dream since she was very young and yes i have encourage her to consider other career paths.

she wants to be a marine biologist. straight up thats what she wants to do as a career. I encourage it cause she wants it so much and not enough girls are interested in science as a primary career.

she did some research and found that the Navy has a marine research and conservation program. so now she is considering the Navy after high school. and njrotc in high school.

I love the idea of her going in the Navy if its right for her. my father was in the navy for 25 years so its always been something shes been exposed to.

my question is was her research right and is njrotc a good precursor to Naval service? she has stated many time that she would love to attend the Naval Academy at annapolis but I dont know much about it so anything you may know would be helpful.

shes also considering stanford, florida, auburn and cambridge university and university of hawaii because they all have outstanding marine biology programs.

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:16 PM on Mar. 14, 2014 in Teens (13-17)

• If she really wants to go into Marine Biology at the Naval Academy she needs to start looking into their programs and what she will have to do in high school to get admitted. They are fairly selective so it is best to start now. If that is what she really wants to do look into local programs where she could get some experience in the field. NROTC is a great way to introduce her to the service and if she pursues leadership positions in high school it can help her get into the academy. There website would be a good place for both of you to start to learn more and you can do a tour once she is starting to apply to colleges.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 14, 2014

• Have her add UC San Diego to her list. It's attached to the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.

Does her school offer Navy ROTC? Ours only offers Air Force, which surprises the heck out of me.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2014

• They also have navy cadets you can get her into that and it's a fun way to meet people who are interested in the same things plus they teach so many skills. They meet once a week and it doesn't cost anything and will give her a chance to see if she likes the whole navy side of things, and she can be in there band and join parades it's great.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:35 PM on Mar. 14, 2014

• The University of Rhode Island has an excellent marine biology program.  Best wishes to you both in your search for the right match.

http://web.uri.edu/marbio/undergraduate-study/

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2014

• Much success to her!
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 2, 2014

• i say good for her and girls should do careers like math or science.
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2014