Do you know enough?

To know the difference between Sikhism and Islam? After 9/11 attacks on Sikhs has gone up drastically, and we still see the bias today - anyone remember the subway ad vandalized with the Sikh model on it?

Now there is a video, "Don't Freak, I'm a Sikh," that tries to dispel the fear and misconceptions in light of the attention given Sikhs because of prejudice and ignorance.

What do you think about the video? Or about the need for such a video to be made? Any thoughts/comments about Sikhism, etc, to add? What about Islam? Is the prejudice that still exists for followers of that faith justified, or should people know better by now than to generalize?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 15, 2014 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow. That's incredibly powerful. I've always held such respect for the Sikhs as most truly walk the walk. They are kind, generous and loving. I love the video and will share it.

I'm dismayed the video needed to be made so long after 9/11. I know that there has been an appalling amount of crime and hatred aimed toward the Sikh community because of the ignorance of many but I had hoped it was dwindling.

With regard to Islam, I've known a few followers and have never, ever experienced anything but kindness and respect from them. I do not believe in judging an entire people/religion for the actions of a few.
    Thairaze

Answer by Thairaze at 12:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• I think it's disgusting that the video had to be made, but I also think it's disgusting that people are bigoted against ALL Muslims because of the actions of a few. It's not just ignorance of the difference between Sikh and Muslim, but arrogance that because one has a passing familiarity with their own religion, they have no responsibility as a member of the human race to understand anyone else's.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:57 AM on Mar. 15, 2014

• What's really infuriating is how much this all depends on stereotypes. These Sikhs are targeted not just for a turban, but the color of their skin. I think most narrow minded people would shit themselves if they ever met a Serbian Muslim (they're about as pale as the Irish).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• It's pathetic the video even had to be made. I do know the difference, but then again, I have no prejudices against either.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• About all I know is Sikhs aren't Muslim. They carry a dagger for religious reasons. They wear turbans and if baptized don't shave, even if female with a beard. 

Don't remember who shared the image and info on the Baptized but really appreciate it because education and knowledge are valuable tools against ignorance. 

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• I know they're two different religions.
    I know that Sikh's wear their turbans in a specific way that they're proud of.
    I know that Sikh's think the turbans that Islam wears are "messy" and they don't like them much.
    I know there's a lot more to both religions that I DON'T know.
    I also know that there is a fairly large community of Sikh's in my area and I don't have the courage to ask them about their religion....yet.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• "I also know that there is a fairly large community of Sikh's in my area and I don't have the courage to ask them about their religion....yet."

Don't be fearful. They're really awesome folks
    Thairaze

Answer by Thairaze at 12:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• I don't really know the difference if I am being honest. I do not judge all people by the actions of one though. I agree that it's ridiculous the way people treat all Muslims because of 9/11, the terrorists are a small group of extremists. To me that is like saying all teen mothers are terrible because of one doing something terrible. Or all Christians are terrible because of one extremists group (that most Christains can't even stand).
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• Haters are going to hate. Even if you educated them about the differences, they would not care. And if they want to judge over a billion Muslims on the actions of a few, perhaps they should examine the atrocities done in the name of their God. Pot, meet Kettle.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2014

• Don't be fearful. They're really awesome folks

The woman I talked to a few years ago at an indoor playground at a local mall was an awesome woman. She seemed to enjoy my questions. The thing now is I see them mostly at Walmart, and I don't want to intrude on them if they're busy or have limited time. AND, the last thing I want to do is come across as offensive and/or rude.

Maybe I'll try and make it to more parks this summer, and work up the nerve to ask. Then again, maybe not. I'll have a newborn then.......gotta get over this somehow. Kinda wish I actually knew someone, or knew someone that knows someone.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2014