Can I be put under for birth?...

..even if there are absolutely no complications?

scared.

Asked by scared. at 8:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• for a csection you can but i highly doubt they would put you under for a vaginal you have to push
    Anonymous

• i had vag and c-sections and was never put under
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 8:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• No, probably not. It's a HUGE risk to your health and they only do it in extreme emergencies when they don't have time to give spinal anesthesia. They used to put women completely under, and the mother/infant mortality rate was very high.
    Anonymous

• I had three c-sections and only put under once due to complications where they had to get him out immediately.

mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 8:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• This possibility does exist. But you'd probably need to request a non-medically necessary cesarean. This adds more big risks to you & baby, though.

What is your concern~ are you having some big fears about childbirth?
    For various reasons, some women will have bigger than normal fears, it is understandable. But there are ways to get help to have baby as healthily & safely as possible, without adding serious risks.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You really don't want that. It makes it really hard to bond with your baby. My third child was born while I was asleep, it literally took us a couple of YEARS to have a normal relationship.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• i sent you a message.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You don't want that, trust me. There used to be a type of anesthesia called "twilight" where you were conscious but really weren't all quite there. Mothers would come out of it not believing their doctors that THIS was THEIR baby and that they HAD actually given birth. They don't use it any more I believe. Unless you're having a C-section (which I wouldn't do unless it is an emergency or a scheduled C-section due to a previous one. It is more painful to BF with, harder to recover from, Major surgery and leaves a scar), they will not put you under. I know you're scared, I was too! But you want to be awake for when your child is born. Epidurals are amazing things. The best moment in my entire life was seeing the look on my little boy's face as I gave that final push and the doctor pulled him out. I close my eyes and imagine it sometimes because it was so special.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Don't you WANT to experience this moment??? I know it's going to hurt, but that's all part of it! I just don't understand why you'd wanna be knocked out for this very important moment in your life!
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 9:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• at my hospital, the father is not allowed in the room if you are put under and not allowed to be there to cut the cord.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2009