Can i request an induction once over 40 weeks???

im going in for my appointment on tuesday and i wanted to know has anybody ever requested to be induced??? I have a long list of reasons why that i am not gonna explain. . But lets just say im really sick and it would be better for him to come out soon. If you have requested to be induced what did your doctor say? Did they do it or tell you no. . .And by the way if you have a negative comment then just please dont comment at all . . . I dont wanna hear anyone tell me that the baby will come when he is ready.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You can request it, but they probably won't do it unless they see a major need.
    Anonymous

• i begged my dr for a couple weeks ( i was absolutely miserable and didnt even have enough room to breathe-really look at my picture on my page) and my dr induced me at 38 weeks. of course if they dont think you are ready then they wont. but when they induced me, i had been at 3 forever and was almost completely effased (sp?)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• after 40 weeks odds are about a week later they will induce you and yes you can ask for it alot of people do . i dont think there is anything wrong with it and i am sorry in advance for any ignorant people that post in this question .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I was sick, having horrible back spasms, vomitting and in pain. My doctor didn't want to even schedule me to be induced until I was at least 41 weeks. I was told that unless you're already quite a few centimeters along and almost completely effaced, you could be in the hospital for days trying to have labor come on so it is better to just wait until it happens naturally. I was irritated, you bet! I was afraid of not being able to have natural childbirth because of a large baby and the longer he was in me, the larger he was going to get. Doctor wouldn't budge. Luckily, I went into labor 5 days after my 40th week.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Requests are always a possibility~ but you want to know how likely your request would be granted. That would depend on what kind of illness you're talking about. Because it's coming from your end, I can only assume that the illness isn't related to the pregnancy. If it were then you would already know this is possible, your doctor or midwife would discuss it with you.

Inductions add risks, so weighing the situation is important. Some situations would not fare well with overly intense contracting, straight to a cesarean can be safer. It depends...
    What is going on with your situation? Can you work on your health to be in better shape for a normal, spontaneous delivery?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• You can always request to be induced, rather your dr. will actually do it is another story. It just depends on the dr. and if you have medical reasons. I was induced three days past my due date. I didn't have medical reasons but for whatever reason my dr. thought it would be a good idea so we did it. So its a possibility but it just depends on your dr.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I begged and begged. I was miserable! and they wouldnt do it.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 10:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• A good doctor won't induce you unless medically necessary. It's best for you to wait until your body and baby is ready.
    Anonymous

• Yes. You can discuss with your doctor and let them know that you will like to be induced. after all the baby is well-developed and that's what counts! he or she is healthy and safe to be born at that time. But i hope by now after u get this message, that you already have your baby....I would like to be induce at 39 weeks... thats when i had my first child and now i'm on my second...so that's my gold
    TheBeautyOfLife

Answer by TheBeautyOfLife at 1:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• the baby will come when its ready! just kidding! i hate that answer too! with my first i was 2 weeks late and i finally said either take the baby now or i'm not coming back, i know this was unrealistic lol but they finally sent me to be induced! i was miserable, now with this pregnancy i'm due march 3rd i complained 2 weeks ago and doc sd the earliest they could induce was 39 weeks which is tuesday and they found out 2 weeks ago the baby weighed 8lbs 9oz so i am being induced 1 week early, it just depends what type of doc you have , i've found that female mother or prego dr's are usually the most sympathetic and will work as hard as they can to get you what you want! good luck!!!
    jemima9876

Answer by jemima9876 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 21, 2009